Win7 64 bit on a Travelmate 7740G

Options
MoonEyes2k
MoonEyes2k Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Yeah. I've got an old, but quite reliable and happy to serve 7740G.

After long suffering, I decided to help it out a bit and got 8Gb ram for it(it'd had 4 before).

And, the installation went fine, started it up...and realized I had 32-bit Windows on it.

Ok, fine, I do have a Win7 64 bit disc. Just pop it in, and install, right? Not so much.

I changed the boot order, no problem, put the disc in the drive and booted the machine up.

The disc ran, "loading files", changed to "starting windows"...and the machine restarted.

And again, and again, and again and on the fourth attempt, I decided that no, this isn't working.

I've looked through the bios settings, what there are of them, I've made a USB stick from the disc

and tried to run things that way with the same luck, and I can't figure or find any reason why it wouldn't

work...and yet, the same thing every time. Load the installing files from the disc/usb, "starting windows"

and powerdown/restart.

Anyone have ANYTHING? Because I can't see why it wouldn't work...and yet it doesn't.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,695 Trailblazer
    Options

Go back to the BIOS main menu. Enable D2D recovery and set SATA to AHCI mode if not already. Try the installation again. If an option to create a hidden recovery partition appears, decline as the existing partition, if still intact, may be able to restore your machine to factory-fresh if things go wrong. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• MoonEyes2k
    MoonEyes2k Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Apologies for a late reply, life got in the way. Anyways, thanks for the attempt, but no, unfortunately that didn't work. Still the same as before. It boots from the disc initially, but then powers down and starts back up again, only to do the same thing again and again, ad infinitum.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,695 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I decided to help it out a bit and got 8Gb ram for it(it'd had 4 before).>>>

I suspect a RAM issue. Possibly incompatible or bad module(s)  Have you tried to drop it back down to 4GB using the old modules and re-try the Win7 installation, preferrably using the Alt+F10 boot re-set method?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ