Win 8.1 "Automatic Maintenance" and SSD's

Options
tytlyf
tytlyf Member Posts: 43 New User

Automatic Maintenance is running daily on my machine and I'm curious to know if it's defragging my SSD.  I've already turned off Scheduled Optimization in my 'optimize drives' dialog.  

For those with SSD's, do you have automatic maintenance running automatically?  Is auto maintenance Ok to use with SSDs?

1.jpg

2.jpg

I can't remember if this automatic maintenance was running every day or if it just started doing so.

Answers

• tytlyf
    Options

Ya I took a look at those prior to the thread and am still confused.  What I can't tell is that if I have optimize schedule turned off, will automatic maintenance override that?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

tytlyf,

You should leave it turned on.  Windows knows that your drive is a SSD.  It won't do anything bad to it.

There's thousands and thousands of Microsoft employees that have SSDs in their computers.  

Not sure where you're getting your advice to turn off optimize, but it's bad advice.

Please check the manufacturer of your SSDs website.  Follow their tweak and optimization guide and not some forum posts from Joe Blow.

Edit: 

To answer your question, yes I have SSD with windows 8.1.  I followed the instructions from the manufacturer.....and I didn't make any changes to optimaztion or maintenance.  Again, Windows knows I have SSD and will treat it accordingly.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tytlyf
    Options

I heard that you don't want to defrag a ssd.  Isn't that what optimize does?

• JordanB
    Options

NO.  Windows knows that you have SSD.  

• tytlyf
    Options

Gotcha, I'll turn it back on for all drives.  Do you have yours on a weekly schedule?

• JordanB
    Options

I have it on whatever the default is.  I didn't make any changes as per the manufacturer.

The only thing I did was to verify that TRIM was working.  But I didn't make any changes.

• JordanB
    Options

maint.JPG

• JordanB
    Options

maint2.JPG

• tytlyf
    Options

Thanks for posting.  Mine is setup like that now.  I notice yours says 'needs optimization.'  What do you think will happen if you click 'optimize' on your C: drive.

• JordanB
    Options

I think that I have confidence in Microsoft (and Crucial).  As far as worrying about Windows 8.1 doing something to my SSD that would cause it to have a shorter lifespan......I'm not worried.  I'm confident that Microsoft Windows 8.1 is doing whatever will be best for the file system and index on the SSD for best possible speeds and data integrity.

Keep in mind that there are over 100,000 Microsoft employees.  There's also hundreds of thousands of Intel, Micron (Crucial), and Samsung employees etc.  Many of them have been using and testing SSD's for quite a few years now with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

My SSD has a 3 year warranty.  If something happens in that 3 years, I will file a warranty claim.  But truthfully, I only paid $100 for my SSD.  Last weekend with friends, I got stuck with dinner check that was $110 including tip.  So if the SSD last 3 years and 1 day, I will have spent $33.33 per year on SSD which will still be cheaper than that dinner check.  Smiley Wink

I'm willing to bet that my SSD will last over 10 years.  My HDD in my old laptop is 10 years old.  Smart Health reports that it could fail at any time.  It's still chugging along after 10 years

Ultimately my advice is to listen to what Microsoft, Intel, Crucial, Micron, Samsung engineers say and not some forum post.