Will recovery partition work after partitioning the HDD?

akhin143
akhin143 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi,

I have a brand new Acer Aspire E1-572G.

It has 1TB HDD and with no partitions. So I want to create partitions as I wish, but before that, I would like to know if the recovery option will work if I alter the default HDD structure. Before I have failed with restoring after creating partitions with some other brands. I hope somebody may have faced the same issue and solved and may be able to help me.

Thanks in advance

Akhin

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you want to use Acer DVD/USB media to recovery, you need to have a blank HDD, so no partitions.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • akhin143
    akhin143 Member Posts: 4 New User

i ddn't get you actuallay. I am talking about my internal HDD, not an external one, which I don't have now. I saw the option to copy the recovery partition to an external drive, but I don't have one in hand now, so leave it behind. I want to know, if I partitioned my internal HDD will that cause the recovery option to fail?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

The recovery will probably work (i mean that ALT+F10 at boot will still work) but can give you errors at some point of restoring, since it tries to reinstall windows on a partition normally called "ACER" and it needs the correct storage size.

so, my suggestion is:

do the recovery media to reinstall your system from DVD/USB media (USB or external HDD preferred for speed), do your repartition and if ALT+F10 fails to reinstall at some point (if you need to restore your system), you can erase all your internal HDD and reinstall as factory from the DVD/USB recovery media.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDE2NDgxNzU3L3NpZC84Q2tVY1U3bQ%3D%3D

I'm not an Acer employee.