Why is my screen (kind of) gray?

chrijeff
chrijeff Member Posts: 6 New User

My Acer Aspire 4330 Series was working just fine yesterday at the library (where I have to go to get on WiFi).  When I took it home and plugged it in, suddenly the entire right-hand half of the screen was--not grayed out exactly, but...the best word I can think of is "foggy."  I can still see what's on that part of the screen, but it's...foggy.  It's as if there was a gray filter fitted over half the screen.  The cursor arrow casts a little shadow when it goes into that part of the screen, and the words in this post that are there are...darker and thicker-looking.  (This doesn't seem to be true of my own word-processing files.  It does, however, affect the color of websites I visit and of my solitaire game.)  This malady occurred about an hour after the previous use of the laptop.  It is occurring now, even though I'm at the library again.  This leads me to think that the problem is unconnected to the power source.  I tried shutting down and rebooting; no change.  What's going on, and what can I do about it?

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Acer system. Is it possible for you to post a picture of your screen so we can see exactly what you are seeing? If only half of the screen is affected, the problem is most likely a hardware problem and would require repair, but I would like to see a picture if possible to confirm.

• chrijeff

Tell me how to take a screenshot and I'll try.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

You can take a screenshot by pressing Alt + PrtScrn. You could also take a digital picture and upload it if that is easier.

• chrijeff

I don't think I can do either; at least there's no hint that the screenshot is saving.  I'll just put up with it.  Thanks anyway.

• DefectedSound
    DefectedSound Member Posts: 16 New User

Hello

Did you try to save the screenshot after you pressed print screen+ontrol?

Or you can just press print screen then search on your computer for ''paint'' open that up and paste it into that then save it on your desktop.

Don't just put up with it espically if your system is still under warranty! Man Indifferent

• chrijeff

No, I can't find it.  And the laptop was bought in the summer of 2011, it's out of warranty by now.

• DefectedSound
    DefectedSound Member Posts: 16 New User

You mean you cant find the screen shot after saving it, or you cant find paint?

• chrijeff

Either.  Both.  Does it matter?  The computer's past warranty, and I can't afford to fix or replace it.  I'll just put up with it.