Why does the specification NOT say that upgrading memory means disassembly of the laptop?

Options
Avodat
Avodat Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I recently bought an Acer A5-571 and, after getting it set up, I bought some memory via Crucial's software; an extra 4GB, guaranteed compatible memory. When it arrived I could not find a way to access the memory slots!  I had checked Acer's specification, before buying the laptop, for this particular variant of the E5-571 machine and it clearly says that the maximum memory is 16GB - the clear inference being that the buyer can upgrade it. The specification does NOT say that to put the memory in the laptop you have to dissemble the laptop by removing the keyboard and the motherboard because the memory is right at the bottom of the machine - in fact, just where you'd expect to find a removable plate!

When I asked Acer how can I upgrade they simply say that they neither recommend, nor support any hardware upgrade and that if I did upgrade it my warranty could be voided! Of course, if I take it to a shop to be done, I have to pay nearly £80 (25% more than the original price of the machine) to the seller to have an extra 4GB added and, I am sure, if anything then went wrong Acer would blame the technician and hide behind it's ban on upgrading, and the technician will say he/she did not cause the damage. In the mean time, my brand new £340 machine would be laying on my table, possible terminally ill! Why do I think this... read on!

The seller is not interested in the dilemma but agrees that Acer's specification DOES say the maximum memory is 16GB, but that it is Acer's problem, not his!  Acer is not interested in this dilemma, and just throws out the caveat that is missing from their specification: "Regarding your product’s warranty, you can add hardware on the unit; however, by doing so, if you damage any internal components of the product, this will void the warranty. We neither recommend nor support upgrading/downgrading hardware/software on the product as it may lead to compatibility issues. If you wish to upgrade/downgrade hardware/software on the product, we request you to contact a local technician for assistance". This is the sum total of their considered Customer Support Service, adding only that it is down to the seller to sort out this dilemma.

Me ? I just bought it in good faith based on Acer's specification.

Helpful ideas please?

O my goodness -  I referred in this post to the room where I cook, beginning with a 'k', as the name of the table where my laptop sits, and I've had to remove that word because it is not permitted in this community  ROFL!

Answers

• Avodat
    Avodat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just as I thought it might be... a deathly silence :-(