Why does my Aspire V5-552 have 5 hidden partitions on the HD?

Options
totallymental
totallymental Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

The hard drive on my Acer laptop (Aspire V5-552) has 5 hidden partitions. One I expected, assuming it contains an image of the original set up. But what are the other 4? I list them below with what details Macrium Reflect gives;

1. Recovery – NTFS Primary 255.9 of 400 MB used.

2. Esp – FAT32 (LBA) Primary 48.6 of 300 MB used

3. Unnamed, unformatted primary 128 MB

4. C: - NTFS Primary … main part of HD 496 GB

5. Unnamed NTFS Primary 337.5 of 350MB used

6. Push Button Reset – NTFS Primary 12.56 of 15 GB used

OS is Win 8.1 and I'd really like to tidy things up ... it won't give me a lot more space, but it looks a mess and I thought you could only have 4 partitions total?

Best Answer

• totallymental

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, Ironfly. Looks like most of it is wasted space. Not used partition software yet, only change from new is the upgrade to 8.1, so I've no idea where the rest of it came from. I'll do a disk image and usb media recovery.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the push button reset is the Acer recovery, with wrong name, i suspect something went wrong using some partition software.

recovery is windows 8.1 partition recovery.

c: is where windows is installed

the others....i don't know

i suggest you to create an USB media recovery using the Acer erecovery software then backup all your data, wipe completly the HDD and re-install the OS using the USB media recovery.

you need at least a 16GB USB media.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • totallymental

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, Ironfly. Looks like most of it is wasted space. Not used partition software yet, only change from new is the upgrade to 8.1, so I've no idea where the rest of it came from. I'll do a disk image and usb media recovery.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.