Why can't I use a dvd to create a factory default restore disk?

Options
sonscomputer
sonscomputer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I bought this new acer E5-771-378y , windows 8.1 and I want to get it all set up for him before Chrismas. Why can I not use a dvd disk for the recovery restore disk? It keeps telling me to insert a 16 gb usb. I don't have a free USB to use and I would prefer to put it on disks like I have done for every other computer I have owned.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I would do a factory  restore on it and see if that fixed the DVD burner. A new laptop should have the capability of burning a restore DVD. You could make the USB recovery drive, make 3 DVDs bootable and then use CD Burner XP, or your own choice, to burn the data from the USB to the DVDs. CD Burner XP can span DVDs. Make sure they work and delete the data on the USB.

Personally, I like the USB better. I believe it's more reliable than DVDs and easier to store.

• sonscomputer
    Options

the dvd burner works fine, I am able to make a dvd of the drivers but it won't allow me to burn dvds od the restore feature, there is no option for dvd at all and it seems to me it is done by design by acer which makes me angry to take away my option. I feel the dvd's are safer that a usb. I was wondering if acer has a workaround for the dvd. I don't know anything about making cd's that you need to span the info onto several, any time I have done this it was done automatically.

Thanks

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options
  • sonscomputer
    Options

Thanks, in all my searching I never found that. I appreciate your help.

I do think Acer should explain their reasoning for this.

Thanks

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi sonscomputer,

This is not specifically an Acer decision. Windows 8 does not allow for the creation of recovery media on CD or DVD.

I apologize that the option is not there for you, but we aren't holding it back to frustrate you.

Thanks,
    Cory