Which Acer Recovery Cd is the "Backup" CD?

Options
Rogmarble
Rogmarble Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Am trying to restore my Extensa 4420 to original. I purchased the CD set from Acer for $$ a number of years ago but now they have no interest in helping as my laptop is out of warranty.

After using Sys CD #1 instructions ask for "backup"- CD. None of the CD set I purchased from Acer is so lableed. I have two System disks, One set of two "Recover" CD and a single "Recovery CD. The instructions seem to randomly ask for "next" CD or a "Backup CD".

I have tried 4 different combinations of booting and using different CDs for the "next" CD.  The best I end up with is an error message

"The system registry contains invalid file paths. Installation cannot proceed. This system image was applied without guaranteeing that drive leter assignments would match across computers"

How do I force the Acer CDs to complete the restore process?

Best Answer

• Rogmarble
    Answer ✓
    Options

Contacted Acer. They had no interest is helping me solve the problem with their defective media other than suggesting I try and find a 2nd set to buy.

I ended up deciding to remove all traces of defective Acer software from my computer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,094 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

I guess your laptop works under Windows Vista.

Watch this video: Restore the system with CD/DVD

France
  • Rogmarble
    Options

Nice video. too bad it doesn't show what actually happens when you use the CDs you have to buy from Acer.

Tried three more times using different combinations of "Recovery" or "System" disks when asked for a "backup" CD.

Each time the install either stopped  or if it appeared to complete I got an error message that the Registry was corrupt.

Tried two different hard drives.

Wiped the partitions and started fresh but I still ended up with a garbage "recovery using the junk Acer sold me.

Warning to all that buy "recovery media from Acer. They will take your money but you have no guarantee that you will end up with anything other than trashed hard drive and a dead PC.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,094 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Your erecovery medias are defective. You contact your Acer store to demand a new set (it's free).

France
  • Rogmarble
    Answer ✓
    Options

Contacted Acer. They had no interest is helping me solve the problem with their defective media other than suggesting I try and find a 2nd set to buy.

I ended up deciding to remove all traces of defective Acer software from my computer