Where does the webcam in the Aspire 5517 plug in? I have a short.

gakmsc
gakmsc Member Posts: 2 New User

I have no idea if I'm on the right board or not.

I have an Acer Aspire 5517. The built in camera has been giving me problems for a while now. I'm certain it has a loose connection or short at the base of the screen or along where the screen & unit connect. I've always been able to tap along there, and the camera would start to work, or clear up.

Since I switched to Windows 10, and it's a pain anyway, it's not giving me the chance to try using the camera, and possibly tap the problem away, before it just says it can't find the camera.

I know from looking at the service manual, where the camera plugs in at the top of the screen. I checked that, it's fine.  I feel the problem is a connection near the hinge. Where is it connected there?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Under the keyboard. It should be A or C. Try matching the wire color.

2016-08-31_1554.jpg

• gakmsc
    gakmsc Member Posts: 2 New User

I found those 2 connectors. They were covered with tape.  Thank you.

Before I saw your response, I had troubles with the camera again, so I tried rolling back the driver to Win 7.

Then I saw your post, so I checked both those & they seemed ok, but gave em a little push just in case.

I don't know which solved the problem...for right now, but the camera is currently working.

Thank you so much for your help. Now I know where to trace the wires to and from if I have further problems.