Where can I get the Acer Aspire E5 service manual?

Bluecake
Bluecake Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Need to replace hard drive with SSD but can't find a service manual anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get this service manual?

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

What Acer Aspire E5? There are so many models. Normally, you can get all documents here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Bluecake

Sorry I meant for the Acer Aspire E5-571-5552

I've looked everywhere but can't find it. Is it because this laptop was just recently released?

• oberon567
    oberon567 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

The manual you linked to is only the User Manual, not the service manual.

I have been looking for the same thing, and was told that, in terms of disassemble (to access RAM and HD) the manual/instructions for e5-571g are identical. Searching only says that such instructions can be found here: www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-e5-571g-disassembly/ but I am not having any success, the entire site seems to be down (get "page not found" error).

If the site works or another manual is found, I am looking for the same thing...

• perry4711
    perry4711 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

The site seems to be back up.  But beware, taking the keyboard off is not as easy as the guy makes it look, it seems to be locked somewhere in the back. There must be a trick to getting it off completely, which I cannot figure out. Gave up for now, and are waiting for the YT video that user derril announced in the related "memory upgrade e 15" thread.

I have to say it is not very customer-friendly of Acer to sell these notebooks with an empty memory slot and not give out any info on how to put an upgrade in. Everybody wants memory and hdd upgrades these days.

• Bluecake

I hate how hard Acer made it to upgrade these laptops!!! How can they advertise that this computer supports up to 16GB of RAM when they provided no way of helping you upgrade the ram!

Now I'm feeling extreme buyer's remorse for purchasing this computer. I regret not spending a extra $100 more to get a Dell with the same specs. I would of returned it buy now if I didn't have to pay a 15% restocking fee but now I'm stuck with it Smiley Sad

This is a $400 laptop not a cheap chromebook so why is Acer making it so hard to upgrade it? Why are there no access doors?

If you're reading this message and trying to decide to get the Acer Aspire E5 or not and is planning to upgrade it in the future, DON'T. Just spend the extra money on another brand. 

This is a really amazing deal for the price until you discover why it's so "amazing".

Perry4711 when you was disassembling it was you able to atleast open the keyboard? Not completely take it off but open it? I have a stripped screw on the back of the laptop that I'm trying to figure out how to get out. So I can't disassemble it right now...

• oberon567

Tinkerer

Strange, the site still doesnt work for me, I still get "page not found" error, even when trying to access the cached version of the site. The strange thing is that the site title bar loads for a moment then disappears with the error. Maybe because I am located in India at the moment? But I have also tried accessing it through a US proxy, and no luck. So if anyone has any other links are work-arounds to view the guide, please post them... Also post the YT link to this thread once someone makes a video, please. Thanks!

Edit - I tried a different US proxy and I can access the site. So it must be a regional thing. I agree, though, a video would be appreciated!

• perry4711

Tinkerer

I assume you mean the top cover with the keyboard and touchpad, since I don't think the keyboard can be opened separately (unlike with some other models).

After removing all screws from the bottom and pulling out the DVD drive I can easily pry open (using a plastic card) the cover around the front - from the DVD bay (where it's easiest to get it apart) on the right to behind the cooler on the left, and lift it up far enough to disconnect the touchpad cable. It is this back part from over the Kensington lock, the battery bay, and the power connector on the right that does not want to come off.

• perry4711

Tinkerer

I should add that I'm talking about a E5-571.

• oberon567

Tinkerer

Those who have attempted it... After looking through the deconstruct guide, am I right in my understanding that the RAM is on the bottom side of the motherboard, and there is no way to remove the bottom cover, and as such one has to disconnect everything from the motherboard, remove the motherboard, flip it over and install that way?

On other Acer models, once on removes the keyboard you can unscrew the bottom panel from there, and you can access the bottom side of the motherboard that way.... but that doesnt look to be the case here, is it?

• jjmIII
    jjmIII Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

I'm trying to do the same thing. Upgrade memory, and an SSD.

Did you get yours open Bluecake??

• oberon567

Tinkerer

Some users in this thread:
    http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Aspire-E15-how-to-upgrade-RAM/td-p/273994

were able to get their machines open, and one person made a video which he said he will post soon, but warned it was not well taken.

From their info and the deconstruct guide it looks like getting in is fairly easy, once youre aware there are a few tabs that lock the keyboard/palmrest in place that are located behind the battery. With that off replacing the SSD should be very easy, it is immediately accessible. The RAM, not so much. Hopefully the video from the thread I linked to, even if it isnt great, will give a clue to how much work it is.

• Lerianis
    Lerianis Member Posts: 11 New User

Bluecake, they figure that the average person buying one of these computers is not going to be an uber-techie. You and me apparently are what is referred to as uber-techies and are willing to 'Dig into' our computers to fix them.

The average person for a hard drive or memory upgrade would take their computer to Best Buy's Geek Squad or another computer repair company and have them do it.

Personally, I took this computer apart and it SHOULD be just as easy as the guide that I posted (I believe I was the one who gave that link to the guide) made it out to be.

Remove the bay cover for the DVD drive slot. Take off ALL the screws (TAKE OUT THE BATTERY, THERE MIGHT BE A SCREW IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT!)) and then just carefully lift up the bottom edge of the keyboard/touchpad part, gently push the zif-lever to release the cable for the keyboard/touchpad (mine had only one cable, I've heard some models of this computers have two!), and then lift the entire keyboard/touchpad thing off the computer.

If there is something that is getting caught on when you are trying to take off the cover, it is most likely a flaw with only your computer, I'm sorry to say. Take it to Best Buy or a computer repair person who you trust and have them take it apart, they can usually figure out how to remove the thing.

Also, tilt the screen back as FAR as it can go, until it is almost pointing at the ceiling. Thinking back, I thought that it was 'getting caught on something' until I saw that the screen was blocking the cover from properly coming up and off.