When I turn on the computer it gives me a message in a blue window: enter the HDD password

Options
henryscudder
henryscudder Member Posts: 12 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I hit enter eight times, and I get a choice of entering a password or continuing, when I continue I can go on to windows. If I choose enter a password I get a blue window with a KEY. I can take the eight digit number key, and enter it in a program on another computer, 'allservice.ro/acer' which gives me the password. I enter the password into my laptop (acer aspire E1-531-2438) and it leaves the blue window, and I can continue either with the HDD loading windows 7, or I can load a cdrom or dvd.

This is great. But if I reboot, and hit F2, I enter the BIOS, and choose security, and I see that the HDD password is still set. If I hit enter, I can enter the HDD password, but when I enter the one I just used, it tells me it is invalid. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I have also tried to kill the power, and startup again going into BIOS, but the HDD password I just used is still invalid. HELP!!

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi henryscudder,

Thanks for posting your issue here,.
    1. Do you remember setting up a HDD password?, in BIOS
    2. The website you reffered you, is temporaryly manupulating the HDD Master Key, which provides access to OS, But the same is not a Reset, the HDD Password in BIOS can be Removed or Deactivated only if you remember the password you created or the other way is to ship the unit to Acer Repair, so that they can disable the HDD password,.
  • henryscudder
    henryscudder Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Thank you, that is a big help.

I accidentally got both the BIOS and HDD passwords set when I tried to use Partition Magic to examine my partitions. I used the 2012 version and it came up funny on the screen. The righthand side was perfectly clear, but the left side was broken up and spotty. I could read much of it. I guess it was because the Acer screen was 1336? by 768 and the Partition Magic wasn't set up for that size. I don't really know. I removed the BIOS one by opening up the laptop and disassembling it until I could remove the CMOS battery, left it out over night and reassembled the computer again. To my pleasure it worked, and the BIOS password was clear, but not the HDD one. So I have no idea what the HDD password was. 

Onward with my trek. I will try the MHDD one next.

• cookingmom
    cookingmom Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I turn on my computer and it tells me to enter a current password  Ive never seen this befor
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options
    cookingmom---(1) What Acer model and number do you have? (2) Does the password come before or after the ACER boot logo screen? (3) Do you normally use a password to enter Windows? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MauricioARG
    MauricioARG Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Anyone knows how many times Acer Bios let you enter invalid passwords for HDD?