Whats the Different with Legacy Bios / UEFI ?

nadfyv
nadfyv Member Posts: 42 New User

Whats the Different with Legacy Bios / UEFI ?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

As for the questions about UEFI in general - basically, UEFI is a replacement for BIOS. Without going into technical details, the most important difference is that UEFI is 64-bit, while BIOS works in 16-bit real mode. This adds certain amount of latency in the boot process (and resume from sleep) because your 64-bit processor will simulate 286 CPU from the power on all the way until your OS starts booting, only then your OS will switch it in 64-bit mode.

New Windows 8 PCs don’t include the traditional BIOS. They use UEFI firmware instead, just as Macs have for years. Rather than have modern PCs wait several seconds for a key press and delay their speedy boot process, you’ll have to access a boot option menu after booting into Windows.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

As for the questions about UEFI in general - basically, UEFI is a replacement for BIOS. Without going into technical details, the most important difference is that UEFI is 64-bit, while BIOS works in 16-bit real mode. This adds certain amount of latency in the boot process (and resume from sleep) because your 64-bit processor will simulate 286 CPU from the power on all the way until your OS starts booting, only then your OS will switch it in 64-bit mode.

New Windows 8 PCs don’t include the traditional BIOS. They use UEFI firmware instead, just as Macs have for years. Rather than have modern PCs wait several seconds for a key press and delay their speedy boot process, you’ll have to access a boot option menu after booting into Windows.

• nadfyv
    nadfyv Member Posts: 42 New User

Thanks for the info Smiley Happy

• daninix
    daninix Member Posts: 3 New User

Dear Sir,

Can I Update My 1.xx BIOS from the Latest 2.xx Bios. I am using the Windows 10 preview operationg system now.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

nope.

BIOS 1.x is compatible only with 1.x releases

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • daninix
    daninix Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank You for the reply IronFly

Now I have another question. Whether changing for Legacy to UEFI is possible? if possible can you explain how?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    If your BIOS is Legacy only, you can't. Old 1.x version.
    I'm not an Acer employee.