What Mobile processors can I put into an Aspire 4530 as an upgrade?

Options
LoneRanger007
LoneRanger007 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

It's got an Athlon 64 X2 dual core 2.0 GHz. in there now.  I'd like to see if I could get somthing in there that's a bit faster.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,686 Trailblazer
    Options

Do you have any CPUs in mind? If not, how much ram & which HDD do you have now?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

I'm asking what CPU's CAN I put in there? It's 2GHz. now,what faster speeds can I get in a mobile processor that WILL go in there? It's maxed out @4GB RAM 800MHz SO DIMM's with a 500 GB Seagate HD. I just installed Win 7 and putting in everything is so slow that the only thing left to do (I Hope) is to get and put in a faster mobile processor. I was surprised to see there's NO CPU cooling fan in there, just a single heat pipe connected to the heat sink screwed down on the processor's that in there. I'd also upgraded the BIOS to 1.3336 Version.

Cheers,Bill

• JackE
    Options

CPU is likely NOT the cause of the speed issue. For the time being, I suggest that you let task mgr run at all times including startup. Then monitor CPU & memory usage to try to pin down which process(s) or program(s) might be consuming too many resources to explain the slowness. It shouldn't seem that slow with Win7 even with the slower DDR2 memory and bus. Also check device mgr for any driver issues if you haven't doneso already. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

Roger Wilco.

• brummyfan2
    Options

You could also consider replacing HDD with a SSD to improve the performance.

EDIT: Compatible models are at the bottom of this link:http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%204200%2B%20-%20ADA4200DAA5BV%20(ADA4200BVBOX).html

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

Already replaced the 320GB Hitachi with a 500GB 128MB Cache Seagate.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK first my specs show your Athelon to have an Socket AM2 so you will need another CPU that fits the same socket unless you really want to modify the motherboard.

Second the Seagate you mention is a rotating drive and not very fast. The single greatest improvement in my R3 came from repacing the 500GB rotating drive (HDD) with a Samsun Evo Solid State Drive (SSD)

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

The specs according to the manual say it's an S1 (S1g2) socket (638 pin) with a Athlon 64 X2 dual core QL-62 2.0 GHz chip (Mobile CPU). So I've been looking at chips that are 638 pin S1 socket compatible. Next there's the question of whether the MB Bios can support one of these. The original Bios Ver. was 1.3335,I'd downloaded and intalled the ONLY bios upgarade they had which was 1.3336 which came out the next year. I like the AMD Phenom II Dual Core N660 3.0GHz 2MB L2 cache S1 LP CPU HMN660CDR23MG;it's specs are impressive just don't know if the system would even recognize the chip. The hard drive was ~$30; SSD's are quite a bit more and ALL of this is just to see If I can soup this up a bit to suit me.

Cheers,Bill

• JackE
    Options

IMO neither the CPU nor even the old HDD is the likely cause of this particular Win7 speed issue.  I still suggest that you closely monitor task mgr to try to find out what is consuming so much CPU and/or memory resources. And check device mgr for any driver issues. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

Hello Jack E. the reason for my lack of patience is that my main squeeze computer is an 8 core 4.0 GHz per core 16 GB ram on the MB gaming rig I've built myself. That and in a previous life I was a Platoon Sgt. whereas I was actually PAID not to have patience. My wife can attest to the fact that,for the most part,I STILL am a platoon Sgt.

Cheers,Bill

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

Your advice I've taken to heart and carried out. Using EZ Gig I've copied the contents of the seagate to a Crucial M-300 525GB SSD. It's not only a bit faster but the Seagate was,in fact,a source of heat as I'd noticed the bulge under the laptop which indicated the location of the drive,was actually quite hot to the touch, With the SSD in there,no more heat problem as well. Thanks Ace padgett.

Cheers,Bill

• JackE
    Options

Seems like there were issues with the seagate drive, Bill. It should not, a priori,  have gotten hot enough to distort the case like that.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

I've decided to settle on the ram upgrade I'd done and the SSD which, although costing 5 times as much, did eliminate a problem,which until I'd put my hand underneath the laptop, I didn't even know I had.

Cheers,Bill

P.S. Back Home I'm called Liam,County Tipperary,South Ireland

So to all the lads who helped me,who was use to working on Desktop ONLY,Thanks

and "Bíodh Altaithe Shona, agus ar na Nollag an-Shona!"

If your Gaelic be a bit rusty Thats: Have a Happy Thanksgiving,and a very Merry Christmas!

• JackE
    Options

Laethanta saoire sona duit agus mise freisin Bill. Agus 2017 Shona freisin! 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LoneRanger007

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks Jack E, and the same to You and Yours Too!

• Tigersteve
    Tigersteve Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    If you upgraded your storage you should have gotten an SSD. That will boost performance by many times.