Want to add a SSD into empty DVD drive slot (Aspire V3-572-734Y) please HELP!

Options
BestShot
BestShot Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I want to add an additional hard drive (SSD) in my system. I have noticed that I have an empty slot where the DVD drive goes, I want to know which parts do i need to install such SSD.

Thanks!

Answers

• jimmy7laptop
    jimmy7laptop Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

You can often get better performance installing the ssd inside the laptop and moving the hard drive out to the optical dvd bay. the dvd bay might be sata II and the hard drive slot is sata III. SO it's faster for the ssd to be on the inside bay.For that you need a hard drive caddy that slides into your dvd bay. Ebay has some good prices for caddy's.

• BestShot
    Options

Thank you jimmy7laptop,

Is there any link you can provide me with a SSD that can fit my system and also what kind of hard drive caddy is that?. 

Again , Thanks

PS: You think this can work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167337

• jimmy7laptop
    Options

If you have a 2.5" hard drive in there now than any 2.5" ssd drive will fit.
    This hard drive caddy on ebay is for a 2.5" hard drive or 2.5" ssd. The compatible aspire models that will fit are close enough. Listed are the Acer Aspire V3-551G V3-571G V3-771G V3-772G. You have a V3-572, which should be close enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-2nd-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Case-Caddy-For-Acer-Aspire-V3-551G-V3-571G-V3-772G-/251670395270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a98b97986

Only problem is it ships from Hong Kong.

• BestShot
    Options
    Thanks again for ur response Jimmy7laptop.
    I saw your link and i think it is the one but it seems that it does not come with the clip.
    This clip is where the screw goes in to keep it in place. Do you know if it comes with it or if not, where can I get it?.

Thanks again !!!
  • jimmy7laptop
    Options

My caddy has a clip but I lost the screw and it doesn't slide out or cause any problems. I just slid the caddy in and wallah, it works. You might try to email the company and ask them if they have that clip you want. Either way, I think it will work ok.

• digitaleagle12
    digitaleagle12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I am interested in purchasing this notebook and have a couple of questions. 

First - is the battery a clip on type where you can remove it without taking the machine apart? 

Regarding this thread - are you sayiing you have to take the keyboard off after you take the screws out and unclip the frame to get access to the HDD to replace with an SSD?   Is the physical drive access on the bottom of the laptop?   IN other words, once you take the back panel off is it there or is the access to the hard drive directly under the keyboard?  

It just amazes me that Acer makes it so difficult to swap out a Hard Drive.  Whoever designed this should be shot. 

• jimmy7laptop
    Options

This dissasembly video is very close to your model. You have to go through a lot of removal just to replace the hard drive. I would pick a different model with a back panel door to remove the hard drive.

https://youtu.be/VPkad-3rKPM

• digitaleagle12
    digitaleagle12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I agree - I decided to buy an Asus 2 in 1 Flip with similar specifications that you can get access to the HDD and Memory simply by removing the bottom cover. 

I don't know what Acer was thinking with this design.  It's a mess to maintain or upgrade.