VN7-571G: External HDD Bay keeps disconnecting / stalling

Options
mawin
mawin Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

PC is working fine, however the connected 4 HDD Bay keeps stalling every 20 min to two hours, active disk time shoots to 100% for just one of the partitions and read or write speed slows to zero. Then it recovers again. While this is just a bit annoying for saving files (afterall it recovers) its bad for streaming videos - serviio will disconnect or skip to the next file depending on how long the hickup takes (anywhere from 1 second to maybe 5 seconds).

I have the Bay connected to a dedicated USB 3.0 (planned for a HUB but for trouble shooting it now resides on its dedicated port). Bay workds flawless on USB 2.0 with XP, eSata with XP SP3 and on a Win7 Laptop with USB 3.0 for a day (already tested).

Did the power setting tweaks (i.e. power down after 4 hours only, selective USB Power disabled) and did the regedit for the bay's Hardware ID (set usbstor DeviceHackFlag to 400 and set Selective Power Management to off in the registry for the device too).

Funny thing is that not the entire bay is disconnecting but only one of disks goes literally down (i.e. the LED in the bay indicated that that disk went to sleep mode). I have no idea what other power management settings I can try. Does anyone have a suggestion for that?

Any help would be much appreciated.