I got an Acer V5-573G
with:
CPU: Intel I7 4510U (2 Cores & 4 Threads) @2.0GHZ up to 3.1GHZ w/ Turbo
GPU: Nvidia GTX 850M with 4GB Dedicated VRAM
RAM: 8GB DDR3 L Memory
HDD: 8GB SSD + 1TB Hybrid HDD
Screen: 15.6" HD LCD with max. resolution of 1366x768

link to the sticker on the laptop: http://i.imgur.com/pSihvRv.jpg

Firstoff, I want to thank anybody who does or at least tryes to help.

Now my issue is that the GPU seems to be performing rather "bad". I've seen people play Shadow of Mordor, Dragon age Inqusition and even Farcry 4 on that GPU (not on 60FPS though but still) and mine seems to be having issues even with Battlefield3, LoL and Payday 2.

I always have msi afterburner running, just to see the temps, GPU-usage & FPS. I didnt over- or underclock anything, the temps are normal, GPU never goes over 71° and CPU is barely @60°, even with Prime95 it sticks at a good 70°~ish while still going Turbo mode.

@Afterburner it shows me a Core clock @1.100mhz (when gaming obviously) and the memory clock around 1.000mhz (Im not on my Laptop atm but its around 1GHZ for sure Smiley Wink )

Now the poor performance I'm speaking off is as following:
I can play BF3 @High on 64player NosharCanals TDM (So a very small map with lots of ppl), almost always 60FPS exepct when the GPU suddenly goes down to 70% Usage instead of 90%ish and tadaa 40FPS for a few seconds and then we go back to 90% usage and 60FPS again?!? And it does this no matter the settings, be it low, middle, high or ultra. @1366x768 Resolution (The res. the entire system is running on, since I dont use an external monitor)

Another example, Payday 2 or Endless Legends, it does NOT matter what graphic settings I use, I can play @800x600 on very low or 1366x738 on Ultra and the FPS & GPU usage difference is maybe 5-10FPS and 10% Usage.
(and yes I include disabeling vsync, tesselation, AF, AA and such in low settings)

In LoL everything works fine until its like the late-game, a big teamfight with lots of stuff happening and suddenly I start to lagg/stutter. GPU @50% as always, FPS go down from 60 to 40ish and it stutters..

I have only used desktop PC's for gaming and have never encountered even anything close to this behavior on them.. so anybody any idea is happening?
All drivers are up to date, Nvidia is @350 Version for GTA5 (as if it even would run on that GPU but w/e xD)
Obviously I play plugged into the wall, all power saving stuff is disabled if the laptop is plugged in, it always uses the nvidia GPU for games, no nivida experiance installed & I did not fiddle with anything on nvidia panel... ideas? anybody?

Answers

• trettet
    trettet Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

Options

this is to be expected on a Laptop which runs a low voltage CPU i7 4510U (u for ultra low voltage) it isn't meant for games. i7's are not made all equal, it's just sort of a performance rank on what their designed for and yes, your i7 is the fastest on Haswell - ULTRA Low Power series, which is designed for - battery effeciency.

As from what you said, the GPU usage is throttling, it's because the CPU is the bottleneck of the System, you might have a powerful Graphics Card, but it won't live to your expectations because the CPU is under powering it, games now tend to use the CPU power more than before, you should have seen it coming and you should have planned better when buying your laptop.

I'd either blame Acer for chosing a ludicrous combo of CPU and GPU, (I mean, ultra lower power CPU for a 4GB midrange Gaming Card??!!) or you for not choosing well, you might have fallen for someone who told you i7's are the best and they're the ultimate CPU's but there is more to that; the gaming i7's have a suffix of HQ (H for High Perfomance and Q for Quad Core) you will get the performance you need but for the price of shorter battery life.

I'd recommend an i7 4700HQ, U is for ultra books designed for battery effeciency - THEY ARE ONLY DUAL CORES with HyperThreading.

• Nord
    Nord Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

So to find out if its actually the CPU bottlenecking the system, I basically just need to play mentioned games and monitor the CPU usage. If the CPU goes to very high usages, of 80 - 99%  while the GPU falls in its % usage, that would mean the CPU is bottlenecking, correct?

• zorofff
    zorofff Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello fellows,

I have i5 u4200 and gt750m version i have never seen a moment when my cpu limit the gpu. Always my gpu is 100% usege  when im doing demanding game. Even crysis 3  was lemeted by the gpu. As i see you have some kind of software problem or overheating problems. Check the temperatures while gaming and the clocks if they are throthling so you can nerrow down the problem. Also what OS do you use? you have installed the official drivers provided by acer right? Im using win 8.1 and official divers from acer and everything is butter smooth.

if you cannot find the problem make a video clip with the problem and request a repairement from the manufacturer.

Best regards.