V5-131 touchpad stopped working

makam
makam Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi,

My touchpad stopped working.  I've tried using the Acer Recovery and relaoding the drivers and it doesn't work.  I've tried downloading both the elan and synaptics drivers separately and the tochpad doesn't recognixe either.  I really don't know how the get the touchpad working again.  Any help would be appreciated!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

What errors or warnings, if any, does device manager report?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• makam

There is no warning or error.  The touchpad is not listed in the device manager under "Mice and other pointing devices".  The only device that shows up is the wireless mouse I'm using listed as "HID compliant mouse".  Even when I had the drivers loaded the touchpad never was listed in the device manager.

• zumtotal
    zumtotal Member Posts: 17 New User

This may be too obvious, but have you tried toggling Fn+F7?

Also, on my E3-111 the Synaptics touchpad appears under Human interface Devices in Device Manager, not under Mouse.

• makam

Hi zumtotal,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I tried fn+f7 early on and that didn't work.  I also tried it after intalling the drivers and that didn't work.  I checked to see if was under HID tab but it wasn't there either.  The touchpad never shows up anywhere regardless of driver installs.  I've looked at other message strings here and other message boards and intructional  videos.  Nothing I try works.

• zumtotal
    zumtotal Member Posts: 17 New User

Sounds like a hardware fault to me Smiley Sad

Are you using Win 8.1? You could try a Windows Refresh (like a reinstall but losing less of your apps and data, but you will lose customisations, I think).

• JackE

Please tell us what devices are in fact listed in Device Mgr under the headings,  HID and Mice & other pointing devices. Also, with no error messages and warnings I agree with Zumtotal are trying the Fn + F7 toggle key combo. Try it again. Sequentially by tapping and holding Fn first, then F7. Or trying tapping them at the same time.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• makam

I tried all the Fn+F7 actions and the only one that got feedback was pressing Fn+F7 at the same time.  I got a window that said this: Pressing F7 turns Caret Browsing on or off. This feature places a moveable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the keyboard. Do you want to turn Caret Browsing on?  None of these Fn+F7 actions got my tochpad to work>  As I said earlier, I tried that many times to no avail.

Below is the device manager information you requested.  The mouse is a wired mouse.  Please advise.  Clearly there is something wrong with this touchpad and I need help.  Thanks!

Device Manager.jpg

• JackE

Your touchpad hardware system seems to be OK according to device mgr. While the touchpad might not be specifically named as such, it would likely show as a highlighted error or warning in one of the HID section devices if there was a hardware issue.

So try this if you haven't already. Run the file "main.cpl". In the box that should appear, click "device settings". Do you see any listed devices. Are they enabled or disabled?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• makam

I ran the file "main.cpl".  I clicked "device settings" and there were no listed devices and therefore neither enabled or disabled.  I opened Device Manager and clicked "Show hidden devices" and found what I believe is the touchpad (see screenshot).  There is a "Code 24" associated with this device.  Not sure what to do next, please advise.hidden pointer.jpg

• JackE

If Device Mgr has the option to uninstall or delete this device then trying uninstalling or deleting it. Then re-boot and let the system try to autodetect and auto-install the driver for it.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• makam

I uninstalled it and it came back as "PS/2 Compatible Mouse". I unistalled that too and it came back again (see screenshot).  The touchpad still doesn't work.  Clearly the system recognizes something but it won't install it.hidden pointer1.jpg

• JackE

OK, you may have answered this before but what WinOS are you running? Also, when you tried the Acer recovery before, was this in fact a "recovery" or a "restore". What procedure did you use for the recovery? Or restore? Thanks.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• makam

I am running WIndows 8.1.  When I ran Acer Recovery I hit the bottom option (sorry, the notebook is no longer with me), which allowed me to re-install the touchpad.

• JackE

OK, if this is a factory-installed Win8.1, you can try to e-recover to factory fresh conditions while saving your data by following this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqgYe7OcLhA

If this is NOT factory-installed Win8.1...that is, a Win8.1 upgrade...let us know before you try the e-recovery.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ