V3-571G-6407 No Bootable Device. Hit any key.

Options
Dahlback
Dahlback Member Posts: 1 New User

A while back I was swapping HDD's and the internal SATA seems to have malfunctioned and no longer recognizes anything plugged into it.

Fast forward a bit, I got a disc caddy for a secondary HDD, figuring I could just use the secondary slot to run/boot into an OS. However, I'm having issues with the BIOS recognizing the HDD. When running a bootable USB to install an OS, the OS can and does recognize the HDD and proceeds to install to it. Once rebooted to finalize installation, the laptop continues to not recognize the HDD and will not boot to it.

Likewise, when using a live-USB, the OS sees and can read/write from the HDD just fine.

Nothing I change in BIOS will allow me to see the HDD. And the HDD is set to having a Master partition(which even if it didn't; the BIOS should still at least be able to recognize that it's there).

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

Microsoft sez "When you deploy Windows® to a UEFI-based PC, you must format the hard drive that includes the Windows partition by using a GUID partition table (GPT) file system. Additional drives may use either the GPT or the master boot record (MBR) file format."

Did you do this?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ