V-5 571P Left Hinge Queefs Out Cracks Screen

Options
Pinkie1
Pinkie1 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I always thought that my V-5 571P felt chintzy, so I've always treated it gently.  It's only ever has been on a desk or in the living room streaming Netflix to the TV. 

I was shocked when the mere act of closing it sent a long, muliple branched crack through the screen.  Apparently the LEFT hinge developed some weirdness and shifted allowing the bottom corner of the clamshell to bear against the corner of the screen as it was folded closed.

If I had dropped the thing, I would have beat myself for being so stupid, but this laptop was ALWAYS handled with kid gloves.  For it to break in this manner is so unacceptable it is as if it were designed to fail in that manner.

Checking this forum, I see that many others have had the same experience.  ACER's solution - lock the thread.  How's about repairing the laptops which suffered this unacceptable design flaw free of charge?  Isn't that what a reputable manufacturer does?

Anyway, I have been forced to find a new laptop and ACER is the one name on my "Do Not Buy" list.

Richard 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options

Sorry. Plastic hinge assemblies, esp those with ribbon cables meandering thru them, seem generally more vulnerable to age (not just overuse) fractures & misalignment than metal ones. Nowadays, I think only ruggedized laptops are available with the beefier metal assemblies at much beefier prices. 8^) Jack E/NJ         

Jack E/NJ

• Pinkie1
    Options

Oh yes, the requisite, "Sorry."  I'm sorry, also.  I'm sorry to inform you, Ace, my V-5 DOES have metal hinge assemblies.  And, it sits opened on a desk most of the time.  Perhaps a couple of times a week, it is folded in order to carry it to the living room to stream some Netflix. In fact, it has never left my house.

As I said initially, it has been handled with kid gloves and, other than a flawed design, there is no reason this "ruggedized" laptop should self destruct.

I realize ACER wants to avoid culpability, but I think they should man-up and fix my laptop without charge.  I certainly am not the only one who has suffered from an unacceptably poor design.

Richard

• JackE
    Options

When did you purchase the machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pinkie1
    Options

I bought the V-5 three to four years ago.  If you are going to tell that it is out of warranty, that is no revelation.

Richard

• JackE
    Options

Repaired my HP's broken hinges with duct tape. Works fine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pinkie1
    Options

So?