Using SSD for boot and SSHD in DVD Caddy in Acer Aspire E5-571 Ci5 NX.MLUSI.004, Ci5 4210, HM87

Options
anupam_sam
anupam_sam Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

i am planning to buy the laptop Acer Aspire E5-571 Ci5 NX.MLUSI.004 (CPU model 4210, Chipset HM87)

I will be using SSD as primary HDD for boot and will remove DVD and put an SSHD in its place in an Caddy enclosure.

I used this way without any problems on my older Acer Aspire 5755 (ci5 2nd gen) and also in Aspire E1-572 (ci5 4th Gen) and other HP and Viao laptop successfully EXCEPT on Lenovo Z50-429601 which also has the same hardware specs of CPU and Chipset as of Aspire E5-571 Ci5 NX.MLUSI.004.

So i am in doubt !!!!

I want to make sure it works perfectly in Acer Aspire E5-571 too.

anybody tried this by using HDD in place of DVD Drive on this laptop Acer Aspire E5-571?

or can try and answer me?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

• anupam_sam
    Options

that's what i thought, there is no reason this will not work.... and bought 2 Lenovo Z50-429601 laptops.

I had 11 hard drives for laptops of different kinds and speed (3gbps & 6gbps), HDD, SSD & SSHD. I tried all of them in hell lot of combinations on those 2 Lenovo laptops.

Here's what happens (when having any HDD placed in the caddy):

- power on -> shows lenovo logo and there it hung up... wont boot... 5, 10, 30 minutes, 3 hours passed.... cant say! sometimes boot sometimes not. Max i left it for 3 hours before powering off but it didn't boot.

- when booted and after Windows 7 x64 loads... few seconds later it disconnects the caddy HDD forever.

- if u shutdown or hibernate there is no guarantee that it will boot the next time u power it on... 

i kept on fiddling to boot it... power on <-> power off<-> reboot... sitting there for 30 minutes just to make it boot after shutdown

- some HDD it will detect in the caddy, some will not at all or will read sometimes, other times not.

And MOREOVER

- i bought 2 laptops of the same model having same BIOS version. On 1st laptop it was reading more HDD than the 2nd laptop (after booting).

The HDD accessing on the 1st laptop not accessible on the 2nd laptop and vice versa, Even though they are the very same model, same bios and same manufacturing month.

And just to Note: there is not problem in any of the 3 caddy i was trying with, what so ever! they are being used at that time on my other 4 laptops (Acer, HP, Viao) and still working on them.

It was a nightmare using those laptops with an HDD placed in caddy and finally after a month returned both of them suffering big loss.

So this Acer E5-571 Ci5 4210 4th Gen having the same HM87 chipset and CPU i am a bit paranoid before buying it!

Uisng both SSD and SSHD (in caddy) is my priority.

• anupam_sam
    Options

i read the post, the link you gave. But in that Lenovo laptop's  BIOS there is no such setting to  enable or disable a disk drive.

The most we can do with them is setting their boot order, thats it.

so nothing really is there to experiment with.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you considered hot plugging the Caddy with the sshd in it? The SATA spec includes hot-swap as part of it.

• anupam_sam
    Options

yes i definitely tried that and also with multiple HDDs but it behaved the same as they were already inserted; and also gave the same booting issues.