Upgrading memory in an Aspire ES1

Options
PDevline
PDevline Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Has anybody successfully attempted to upgrade the ES1's memory from 4Gb to 8Gb?  More specifically, does anyone have a proper method for cracking the case.  Access to everything with the exception of the DVD insert cover is trapped in the behind the casing. All the web has, from what I've been able to find, is a bunch (100s if not 1,000s) of people giving copycat reviews, no one's discussing anything technical.

With other laptops that I've owned, there were individual covers for battery, HD, and memory.  There wasn't a need to crack the case. Guess the extra plastic and few extra screws would've driven the price up.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,154 Trailblazer
    Options

Can you give us the full model name as I couldn't find any ES1 models.

EDIT: OK, I have found and seems to be able to upgradable to 8GB, all you need is some effort on your part to find open it up as you have the laptop, otherwise may have to wait for someone else to do it and let you know.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/NX.MMLAA.001

• markusdark
    markusdark Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

In case you haven't found it yet, there's a video of a german upgrading RAM in an Aspire E15 that seems to have the same issues as the ES1 of having everything inside.  It might be able to be a slight guide to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsFDi_qsnQ

I didn't bother cracking the case after watching it as it looked a bit involved, thus far things are working Ok for me and I'd only upgrade it by 2GB.  But I might do it anyways as it seems my CD/DVD slot is snagged on something and I can't put it out to put in an internal drive (currently looking for a drive for it too).

• PDevline
    PDevline Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Thx for the update. I'll polish up on my German (worked for Zeiss NA many moons ago). Had the 8Gb chip sitting here for months now, got side tracked with a bath remodel in my house. Have noticed my designs in ACAD 2014 really pushes that Celeron w/ the original 4Gb to the limit sometimes.