Upgrade graphicscard on Acer Aspire V5-573G

Options
DanskeN
DanskeN Member Posts: 2 New User

Anyone having experience with upgrading the graphics hardware on the Aspire V5-573G? Is it even possible to do?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

To upgrade the graphics card in a laptop, you *must* have an "MXM" laptop. The "MXM" port is like a PCI-E port inside a laptop.

They were slightly popular about 5 years ago, and models like the Acer 5739G had MXM graphics cards.

However, it is difficult to build a laptop that is both upgradeable and super-slim. Today laptops focus on being slim, and MXM is not popular.

From what I can see, no V5-573G model has ever included MXM. No MXM = no upgrades, sorry!

DanskeN, if you feel that graphics performance is not what you expected, it could be that the application is using your Intel onboard graphics instead of the dedicated Nvidia chip. Bring up the "Nvidia Control Panel" and click "Manage 3D Settings" and you should see a "Program Settings" tab. There you can fiddle with whether or not your programs use your Nvidia card. It should mostly be automatic - personally, I have only had a problem with a game, XCOM, using the onboard graphics by default! Smiley Happy

For anyone else looking to upgrade their graphics in their laptop, try doing an Internet search for "[Laptop make / model] MXM" to see if you have an upgradeable MXM laptop.

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

This Model is shipped with 2Gb of VRAM, so what exactly would you like to upgrade?
  • DanskeN
    DanskeN Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    My intension was to remove the old and place a newer card to make sure it's up to date for Autocad, Revit and the likes, and secondary for gaming
  • sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

The Latest GPU from Nvidia is GT750M, but I dont find it to fit the Unit & also the max that you may try is the GT735M, but again as against the current GPU, you would hardly find any difference. Moreover the current GPU should work with the applications you listed with ease. Cheers.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

To upgrade the graphics card in a laptop, you *must* have an "MXM" laptop. The "MXM" port is like a PCI-E port inside a laptop.

They were slightly popular about 5 years ago, and models like the Acer 5739G had MXM graphics cards.

However, it is difficult to build a laptop that is both upgradeable and super-slim. Today laptops focus on being slim, and MXM is not popular.

From what I can see, no V5-573G model has ever included MXM. No MXM = no upgrades, sorry!

DanskeN, if you feel that graphics performance is not what you expected, it could be that the application is using your Intel onboard graphics instead of the dedicated Nvidia chip. Bring up the "Nvidia Control Panel" and click "Manage 3D Settings" and you should see a "Program Settings" tab. There you can fiddle with whether or not your programs use your Nvidia card. It should mostly be automatic - personally, I have only had a problem with a game, XCOM, using the onboard graphics by default! Smiley Happy

For anyone else looking to upgrade their graphics in their laptop, try doing an Internet search for "[Laptop make / model] MXM" to see if you have an upgradeable MXM laptop.