Unlocking operating system on Acer Aspire One Z65, AOA-1447 running XP Home Ed.

Options
ZabethG
ZabethG Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi, I have an Acer Aspire One Z65, AOA-1447, running Windows XP Home Edition. Is there a way (such as a key?) to unlock the operating system so I can download a different browser?
Thanks!

Answers

• karatekidmonkey
    karatekidmonkey Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options

I don't understand what you mean by "unlock operating system". Windows is not "locked" or anything, unless you don't have proper licensing. Did your PC come with WinXP built in?

• ZabethG
    ZabethG Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi Karatekidmonkey, Yes, the Netbook came with XP Home Edition pre-installed. Apparently there was a free trial period for using Internet Explorer that must have expired long ago (the Netbook hadn't been used in a long time until just recently. I tried to access the Internet on it to download a new browser but it won't go to the webpage needed. It just sort of freezes up. I'm trying to find a way to "open" the OS so it will allow me to access the Internet to download a free browser. Since XP is no longer supported, I don't think MS tech support would be able to help me with that. Any suggestions?
  • karatekidmonkey
    karatekidmonkey Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options

Do you know your way around Linux? You could go grab a Linux livecd and boot from it. From Linux you could download the INSTALLER for WINDOWS and then copy it to your C:\. Then you reboot to Windows and run the installer. You could also go to another computer (perhaps the computer you're using to post with?) and download the installer for a browser-copy it to a flash drive and run it from there. But make sure the browser you will use is compatible with XP, eg you can't use Avant or anything.

Could I have a screenshot of the freeze-up?