Unauthorized Windows 7

Options
bfournier
bfournier Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Aspire 5742 factory loaded with Windows 7 and it worked for 3 years.  Now, Microsoft is sending me 'Unauthorized Windows' messages.   The hardware has not changed.   Microsoft checked and said my OEM product key is fine.  Restoring to a previous point failed to fix problem.    I just ordered the eRecovery DVD.     Is there a way to fix this without wiping the system and starting over?   I have a LOT of software installed that I will hate to lose.    BTW - my best guess is that malware caused this.   Any other ideas?   How bad will Microsoft get with me?

Thanks,

Bill

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Please try recreating the Licensing Store.
    Recreate the Licensing Store
    1) Click Start button.
    2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
    3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
    4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
    5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    8) Type: net start sppsvc
    9) Type: slui.exe
    10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.
    If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sitcker on eht machine's case
    Reboot and Post back with a new MGADiag report

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234518-windows-not-genuine.html

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Please try recreating the Licensing Store.
    Recreate the Licensing Store
    1) Click Start button.
    2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
    3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
    4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
    5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    8) Type: net start sppsvc
    9) Type: slui.exe
    10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.
    If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sitcker on eht machine's case
    Reboot and Post back with a new MGADiag report

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234518-windows-not-genuine.html

• bfournier
    Options

Thank you so much for your lengthy solution.    I followed it to the letter and now I have to wait to see if Microsoft stops annoying me.    Sometimes it takes almost a day between their popup warnings.     i will certainly give you all the kudos I can.     

You say that you are unemployed.   If you are looking for work I wish you the best of luck.

• IronFly
    Options

bfournier wrote:

You say that you are unemployed.   If you are looking for work I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you Smiley Happy

• bfournier
    Options

Bummer but that did not solve the problem.    I still get "This computer is not running genuine Windows".   Earlier today I ordered the eRecovery DVD and I hope that will help..... but I certainly don't want to wipe the computer clean.   Any more ideas?    How would you proceed?

Thanks!

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

In Windows search, take a look at Windows Easy Transfer.

• bfournier
    Options

This DID solve the problem!    It took several days before the annoying messages stopped but it may have helped when I shut the computer down too.    Thanks, and I gave the kudos to you.

Bill