Unable to use Flash Drive for additional RAM storage for Windows 10 update. Acer Aspire One 1-131.

Options
rxmacon
rxmacon Member Posts: 2 New User

>>>Sorry, it's not clear to me which board to use for this.<<<

I have Acer Aspire One 1-131 Signature Edition. I'm unable to update Windows 10 due to storage limitations. Windows says 8gb are needed. After clean up and removing all personal files, I have less than 2gb available I tried to use a 16gb Sandisk Flash Drive for additional RAM storage. Instructions I followed:

1. Right click on drive for the Sandisk Flash Drive  (ESmiley Happy

2. Select Properties

3. Select Ready Boost <== I get "This cannot be used for ReadyBoost"  

4. Select Use this device. 

5. Reserve space using sliding bar

As indicated above, I can't get past step 3 above. The message displayed is "ReadyBoost is not enabled because this computer is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit." 

Help will be appreciated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

to update you don't need more ram (so ready boost is not the correct choice) but you need more storage (HDD space); so you need to format the Flash drive as NTFS (on my computer, right click the Flash drive, choose Format and select NTFS), so it will be used to update your OS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rxmacon
    rxmacon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks. I did as you suggested, but it did not resolve the issue. Windows 10 update still says it needs 8gb of space. I've rebooted and reconfirmed the 16gb flash drive is formatted NTFS.