Unable to install Ubuntu 14.04.2 on Acer Aspire E5-511G with Windows 8

kiertorata
kiertorata Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi. I've tried everything I can to install Ubuntu 14.04.2 alongside Windows 8 on my laptop and I'm just not successful. I have Ubuntu on an USB flash drive, and whatever I do, I keep getting the message "System doesn't have any USB boot option." So far I have:

- Turned off Fast start-up.

- Disabled Secure boot from UEFI firmware settings.

- Tried setting both USB FDD and USB HDD at the top of the Boot priority order and Windows Boot Manager to the lowest priority.

These steps seem to enable most people to access Ubuntu on their flash drive, but it doesn't work for me. Anyone know what I can still try? Is there anyone here who has the same model and who has successfully installed Ubuntu?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if USB doesn't appear, probably you didn't create a correct EFI bootable USB media.

use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive, selecting only for UEFI system.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

please re-enable Secure boot too.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

Have you also tried F12 at boot?

• kiertorata

Hi, yes I have. I know it has solved the problem for some other models, but for me it only provides the Windows boot option, unfortunately.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

if USB doesn't appear, probably you didn't create a correct EFI bootable USB media.

use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive, selecting only for UEFI system.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

please re-enable Secure boot too.

• kiertorata

Thank you! This seemed to do the trick.

• IronFly

You welcome! Smiley Happy