Touchpad Left Button Stops Working Intermitantly

Options
ddlb
ddlb Member Posts: 4 New User

Well I sure can't find where to post this.  It's not a question it's a solution to a problem that was driving me nuts and I wanted other people to know this.

If your touchpad left button stops working and not for the usual reasons - this is what will make it work again.

1.  Unplug power cord if plugged in 

2.  Remove battery

3.  Hold down start button for about 20 seconds

4.  Put in battery

5.  Reboot

I would actually like the whole world to know this as I have googled countless times and never found a solution that works.  I have the Acer Aspire One - not one of the locations listed either.

Hope this helps someone!  DonnaB

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

>>> I have the Acer Aspire One - not one of the locations listed either.>>>

Thanks for the tip. What is the model number your Aspire One?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ddlb
    Options

Model of aspire one is 756-4854

• ddlb
    Options

As an aside this happens if my battery gets drained when I'm using the laptop. Also sometimes I have to use the solution twice. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm glad you mentioned this drained battery aside. Another possibly easier fix for intermittent hardware issues is to simply press F2 at the Acer logo boot screen to enter the bios menu. Then press F10 to exit and save the bios settings to continue booting. This will often refresh the bios memory and resolve annoying hardware issues.

Jack E/NJ

PS: It's also good practice not to allow the battery to drain too far.    

Jack E/NJ

• ddlb
    Options

Thank you very much for the F10 tip - I haven't done that type of thing in a long time but did fiddle with the bios before just not with this problem.  But you are right - the battery will show I have time left and then just turn off the laptop but I usually try to not let it do that.  I have to switch between 3 batteries charged on my hubby's laptop because my laptop no longer charges.  I'll try that next time so I guess I just stumbled on a solution that worked mainly because I remember years ago I had to do that for one reason or another.  THANKS!