Touch pad not working in Advanced section of BIOS

Muddabir
Muddabir Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,

I have bought a ACER ASPIRE E5-511P-P1QH laptop, I wanted to upgrade the RAM and when i did that there was a boot failure, due to which i had to reinstall windows 10. Earlier had windows 10 and touchpad was working fine.

My laptop is working fine, except for the touch pad. The touch pad just works fine for the basic settings on the BIOS. But with basic settings i dont have gestures and scroll on the touch pad. Basic setting > Device Manager shows > HID mouse and touchpad.

Every time i select advance touchpad option in the BIOS. The device manager doen't detect the touchpad itself.

Tried everything and its not working, reinstalled OS multiple times, updated all necessary driver. Tried both synaptec and Elan touchpad drivers.

Downloaded drivers from ACER site itself, but in vain.

The advance option in the BIOS says "Install I2C drivers to enable the touchpad in advance mode". Not able to find these I2C drivers any where.

Other than this the Device manager shows 3 devices with no drivers - 2 PCI devices and 1 system DMA controller.

Please help!!!! Have got used to the gestures, cant use laptop without it.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>> had to reinstall windows 10. Earlier had windows 10 and touchpad was working fine.>>>

What method was used to re-install Win10? Was the earlier Win10 factory-installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Muddabir

Installed windows using a bootable flash drive. Licensed windows.

It had come preinstalled with Windows 8 then based on windows upgrade program, upgraded to Windows 10.

No drivers were needed to be reinstalled after the upgrade.

• JackE

>>>It had come preinstalled with Windows 8>>>

Are you sure it was Win8, not Win8.1? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Muddabir

It could've been Win 8.1

Need help to solve this.

• JackE

If you indeed had Win8.1, not Win8, then we can try to re-set the machine to the original factory-shipped Win8.1 to see if the features can be re-enabled. This is not possible with Win8 without having factory installation media. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Muddabir

Reinstalled Win8.1 and tried to achieve the best possible factory settings, but in vain. 

I'm trying to install Win8.1 I/O serial chipset drivers downloaded from the acer site, but the system is getting into BSOD, everytime i do so.

I don't understand why has acer made it so difficult to fix such a simple issue.

• JackE

>>>Reinstalled Win8.1 and tried to achieve the best possible factory settings, but in vain.>>>

What method did you use to re-install Win8.1? From ACER DVDs? From Microsoft DVDs. Or from the ACER hidden HDD partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joash_jeshurun
    joash_jeshurun Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi guys!
    Touchpad in advanced mode with extra features not working? Then u can atleast have your touchpad working without gesture by turning it back to basic. I know that it doesn't work when you turn it on the BIOS! 

So these are the steps for making your touchpad work in atleast basic mode.

1.Insert an WINDOWS installation media.(Windows 10 is better) {Note that you are not going to install that!}
    2.Get in the CD-ROM booted and arrive to the installation menu. And do nothing there but wait for 34 seconds.
    3.Re-boot the system now and remember to enter the BIOS menu this time.
    4.Change the mode to basic.
    5.No go back to installation media and reboot again and this time you may boot your own os.

Now you have your touchpad working but without gestures. Hope this works.