Thought I'd tell you why we won't carry Acer products anymore

Options
Compu-Medics
Compu-Medics Member Posts: 4 New User

I own a Computer repair shop.  We've been around since 1999.  I have liked Acer products as an inexpensive, decent laptop solution for a lot of my customers.  That ends today, and I would like to take a minute to tell you why.

We have a customer with an Iconia PAU30 laptop with a virtual keyboard.  The customer decided to reinstall Windows 7 Professional and when they did, they lost their Virtual keyboard.  Of course I thought it would be a simple matter of getting the driver from the Acer website.  Not so much.  It's not there.  (Note: the issue is a driver, the keyboard is there until Windows 7 loads).......   So I try to contact Acer to ask them for help.....  Note, there was a time you could to this and speak to an actual person.  Not any more.  As soon as you put in the SNID, it doesn't give you an opportunity to explain your issue, it says "you're out of warranty, we're transferring you to our paid support".  And no matter what you say, all they tell you is, you have to pay.  Yes, it may be a driver, no we won't just give it to you, or tell you where to find it.  He also told me "once it's out of warranty YOU CAN NOT do it yourself"......  I then asked exactly what they were going to do, he said check for file corruption etc. and If...... IF it's a driver (it is a driver) they will install it.  I asked why I couldn't just get the driver myself......  No answer......   I said, all other computer manufacturers may have similar policies, but you can actually talk to them and get help if you have an uncommon situation (ironically, Acer USED to be one of those manufacturers....  I then asked if they guarantee their work.  Nope, you could actually pay what they describe as a "nominal fee" and not have your problem solved.    There is more, but I've wasted enough time on Acer today, it's more of the same nonsense, runaround, and no help.  At the end of the day, after repairing thousands of computers, there is no way we or our customer should be in this situation.  Service is a big part of what we do here (we offer a complete money back guarantee here) and if I can't have confidence in a manufacturer to do right by my customers, I cannot continue selling their products to my custoomers.

Answers

• parkercrossjr
    parkercrossjr Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Acer has become the Wells-Fargo of electronics.

• Compu-Medics
    Compu-Medics Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

They're terrible.  And they have an office in the west end of the city here, used to be terrific to deal with, now you cannot get ANYONE on the phone unless you're buying something.  And after alllllllllllllll of this, when I figured out that buying the recovery media would save me paying $80 for non guaranteed, out of warranty support....... The website crapped out on placing the order, making me have to phone them.  Acer has become a joke, and my company will not have anything to do with them going forward.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you try this ? The on screen keyboard is included with Windows 10 but have heard it is turned off by default. I just have the icon in the tray for touchscream devices and select as needed.

Is sometimes difficult to bring up on my Android phone but never had an issue with Windows tabs (have 5 at the moment).

ps agree there is no out-of-warrenty support but this forum can help with most things the script kiddies can't. Picking the right device can also be a challenge. My hotrodded R3 can run with an i7 but model was carefully selected to permit.