The drive where Windows is installed is locked

haristone
haristone Member Posts: 5 New User

Dear Community Smiley Happy

My Axer 3830T laptop downloaded a Windows 10 update, after 30 minutes it auto-booted to a blue screen that reads: "Recovery - your PC/Device needs to be repaired" Error Code 0xc000000f

there are two options, F8 for start up settings and F9 fto use a different operating system

I tried both, but after going through all sub menus and options, I'm back at the beginning;

when choosing the "reset this PC" option, it tells me "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

The free Microsoft Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 ISO/ setup files are therefore useless as long as my drive is locked and the volume write protected!

please I'm grateful for any helpful advice as to how to unlock

H

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have a look on BIOS if HDD password is set to frozen:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32674/~/bios-password-frozen

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dklug6606
    dklug6606 Member Posts: 3 New User

From powered off. Battery installed and AC power connected. Press power and immediatly press and hold Alt and begin constant tapping F10(about once a second) while it boots. Should bring up "Starting Acer Ereovery"factory reset screen, select #1
    1.Select Restore system to factory default
    2. Enter the password (if needed) created when eRecovery was first started.
    3. Read the on-screen warning and choose Yes.
    4. Click Next. The recovery process will start.

This will take some time so be patient.

• haristone

Hi Sir/ Madam

thank you very very much for the hint, it worked, I finally have a laptop again; it factory reset to Windows 7 and I take it from there (again)...software un and reinstalls, Windows 10, etc......

Smiley Happy

I give you a ten out of a ten!!!!

Happy Easter

Harry

• trogers
    trogers Member Posts: 3 New User

I wish any of the above worked for me. I have the same problem. Using ALT F10 it tells me, Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failure. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media. I then stick the flash drive in the USB and press enter. The boot manager pops up on the screen. THe only option listed is the flash drive. I choose the flash drive, the computer boots to the flash drive, where i have 2 options troubleshoot and turn of your PC. by choosint troubleshoot I get to a screen with 3 options, (1) refresh your pc that tells me the drive where windows is installes is locked. Unlock and try again. (2) Reset your PC which seems to work but after it finishes, I try rebooting PC and it tells me there is no bootable drive.

(3) Advanced Options which takes me to another screen which includes System Restore That dosn't work because the are no restore points. (2) System Image Recovery That dosn't work because it can't find a System Image. (3) Startup repair, That tells me it can't repair it. (4) command Prompt & (5) UEFI Firmware Settings to which seems to be the only thing that does work. Can any one help me with this problem. I am working with an Aspire E5-521

• IronFly
    Check on BIOS if your HDD password is set as frozen.
  • haristone

I ended up doing a factory reset to Windows 7, then reinstalled Windows 10 and all my software.....tedious job, sigh...

• trogers
    Checked bios everything has clear beside it
  • IronFly
    So can be 2 things:
    1) virus locked the HDD
    2) the HDD is dying
  • trogers

After trying to reset 4 times I got it to reset from the flash drive. The only thing done different the fourth time was changing the boot priority to usb flash drive instead of going to boot manager.