Synaptic Touchpad driver won't update

bsn321
bsn321 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi folks - 

We have an Aspire 5733Z.  Now Windows 10 (It was originally Windows 8, and a while back, Microsoft eventually didn't give us a choice to update to Windows 10)

It has a Synaptic PS/2 TouchPad.  I recently tried to update the driver for this TouchPad - as I thought maybe this would activate a 2-finger scroll that I've seen in other (newer) Windows 10 laptops recently.

I downloaded from Synaptic website what seems to be the latest drivers for Windows 10 - a large zip file.  I installed the driver - seamingly successfully.  The touchpad still works (can move mouse and select, etc.) - but now when I look at the associated driver in device manager - the "mice and other pointing devices" is no longer listed as "Synaptic PS/2 TouchPad" as before, but now just simply "PS/2 Compatible Mouse".  Further - the original driver was dated something from 2011, and the current driver is now from 2006.  AKA it's not the Synaptic driver I just installed.

So what am I missing?  I'm not an expert but know just enough to be dangerous Smiley Happy

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks - 

Brad

Answers