Someone from Acer please chime in on the fix for Aspire 5552g black screen / failure to boot?!!

cjn
cjn Member Posts: 1 New User

I've now spent many hours of research and troubleshooting to try to fix this issue, both via external sites through google search and here on Acer site.

It is the same issue reported many times: Acer 5552g laptop powers on, but does not boot up -I get blank / black screen, fan sound briefly, then idle, and that's the end of. Also, when I do manage to get it going (booting), it seems a totally random event...

Surely someone there at Acer has figured out how to solve this problem???! 

Pleeeease?

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Many types of hardware or software problems can cause the behavior you are describing. Without examining the system, it is impossible to say what is causing the problem with intermittent booting. I suggest you use eRecovery or recovery disks to restore your computer. If you still have the problem after restoring, then there is a hardware problem that would require repair. 

• lobomad
    lobomad Member Posts: 1 New User

Ok i know I'm bumping up old tread but its possible that other people were looking and still might be looking for the same problem. If your acer 5552, 5552g 7552 and similar and also Packard Bell TK81 TK83 etc have this kind of problem the culprit in 80% cases is faulty AMD north bridge, AMD 215-0752001 or AMD 215-0752007, sometimes its just cold solder joint and chip reballing will take care of that, but mostly its faulty chip (AMD had whole line of those and a lot of them went in to those laptops). I have had this kind of problem with 6 different main boards from all aforementioned models and afetr looking for the solution on internet i can say its really very common. Fortunately you can buy new AMD 216-0752001 north bridge quite cheap and it fits (it was still in production in 2015 and I suspect its still produced now), and at least in my country you can find places where they will change them for reasonable price ~30/40$. Sometimes its also cold joined or faulty graphic chip but usually in those cases your laptop either wont start at all, or will boot up (you will hear windows sounds etc) but wont show any thing on Laptop screen and through DSUB DVI HDMI on external monitor. Anyway if you have that kind of a problem you need to take your laptop to Computer Repair for diagnose  and in most cases for repair.