Scrolling and Swiping Gestures Gone! Help!

Options
baffledtruffle
baffledtruffle Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi!

I recently got my laptop reformatted due to a BSOD startup loop and when I got it back (the store I bought it from "fixed" it for free), I started it up and noticed that my gestures were missing.

They're kinda hard to live without once you've had them, and it is most unfortunate that I have lost these gestures. So, how do I get them back?

Some Notes:

I have an Acer E5-471

My "Mice and other pointing devices" show that I have a PS/2 compatible mouse (I thought they were supposed to have like an ELAN or Synaptics something before the word)

I tried troubleshooting and it showed me that the 3D Video Controller has no driver and the PCI device doesn't have a driver (I figured I'd include them in case they were the cause of the loss of gestures)

Thank you!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,605 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, if you haven't done so yet, download the latest Elan and Synaptics touchpad drivers and try to install one or the other. Click support at the top of this page. Choose your country. Click download drivers/manuals. Select your notebook for the drivers. Try the synaptics first. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

What does control panel's mouse properties and settings show for other devices? Enabled or no?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• baffledtruffle
    Options

Hi! I'm not sure I'm following. I could not find anything that says "enabled". I could not find that in the Mouse Properties and it's 4 tabs (Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Hardware)

• JackE
    Options

Go to control panel. Search "mouse". Chose "mouse settings" Click on "device settings" tab if it's there.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• baffledtruffle
    Options

The closest I could get was to the mouse settings and it shows the Mouse Properties window when I click "Change mouse settings".

• JackE
    Options

OK, then does this mean you see no reference to "other pointing devices" inside any of the tabs? If not, try to run the file"main.cpl" without the quotation marks. Does this look any different from what you pull up from Control Panel?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• baffledtruffle
    Options

It does not look any different. Here's a screencap:

mouseprop.jpg

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, if you haven't done so yet, download the latest Elan and Synaptics touchpad drivers and try to install one or the other. Click support at the top of this page. Choose your country. Click download drivers/manuals. Select your notebook for the drivers. Try the synaptics first. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• baffledtruffle
    Options

Hi! Thank you for your help! It turns out that I installed the wrong driver for my computer (I had to recheck my unit's ID to know what model it actually is). The ELANTech driver was the one that restored the gestures in my computer. Thank you so much!

• JackE
    Options

Good work! Congrats!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ