Right side of keyboard not working

Options
lkoples
lkoples Member Posts: 4 New User

I am trying to troubleshoot a E1-531-4836 model laptop,  the right handside from the 9 does not work. So Num Lock and number pad etc does not work.  The touchpad does not work well either.  I can plug a USB keyboard and mouse in and they seem to work for the most part. Sometimes I can not bring up the charms etc with the USB mouse.  then I have to hit the space bar on the laptop keyboard,and I then can use the USB mouse to bring up charms.  I tried updating drivers and  restoring to orginal settings.  Did not fix my problem.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them.

Thank you

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I can't see a driver problem making half of a keyboard not work and if it was the driver for the Acer keyboard, the USB keyboard should work good.When you say "restoring to orginal settings", you did a complete Factory recovery?

If you did and still have the problems, you probably have a hardware problem with the motherboard and possibly the keyboard too.

• lkoples
    Options

Thank you

Would it be a big deal to change out the keyboard? I really do not know alot about computers, and I think the motherboard would be a big deal right?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Keyboard looks pretty easy. This shows how to disassemble everything.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassembly-guide-acer-aspire-e1-531-2438/

• lkoples
    Options

Thankyou  

I will give it a try and let you know how I make out