Restoring Windows 8 after upgrade to windows 10?

Options
coolmichaelrock
coolmichaelrock Member Posts: 32 New User

I am wondering can i Restore windows 8 after i did the upgrade to windows 10 on my Gateway NE56R model laptop?

I have the backup drive i made with the acer recovery management tool i clicked on create factory default with.. Would this drive restore me to Windows 8 or shall i be doomed to stay with windows 10 or be downgraded to linux to get compatible OS again?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Yes, you can downgrade with your recovery drive at any time. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • coolmichaelrock
    Options

I was wondering because i mean I plugged it in today and it had a few options one being continue into windows 10 and another under that that was like advance options with a description of refresh or reset windows.. Which do i click to go back? Smiley Frustrated

• JordanB
    Options

The first thing you'd want to do is backup your important files. 

Then follow the link below, except for step 12 when it asks you if you want to re-partition the drive, say yes. 

There's a slight possibility, that might first have to use diskpart clean to wipe your drive before your recovery drive will work. I'll post the fix for that in the next post. 

You can rollback from inside windows 10 for 30 days. After 30 days, you'll have to use your recovery drive. 

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27608#_ga=1.93330708.869228946.1437511482

• JordanB
    Options

If you run in to any problems, the link below is the nuclear option. Be careful. It will wipe your hard drive (or solid state drive) clean and there's no do-overs if you select the wrong drive. 

After you wipe your HDD clean, your Recovery drive should work fine. 

Again, don't use this option unless you have to. 

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

• JordanB
    Options

This is what I was talking about with the "rollback".  Again, the 30 days only applies for doing a rollback from inside windows 10.  You can use your windows 8.1 recovery drive at any time......even after 30 days.

rollback.JPG

• coolmichaelrock
    Options

I plugged in my USB drive and clicked reset Windows.. It asked me to select Target operating system and it only had windows 10 listed.. Would this delete windows 10 and revert or keep windows 10? I might be worrying over nothing but i just don't want to be stuck using Linux.

• coolmichaelrock
    Options

Also i'd like to note i didn't make the backup with the make installation media iso installer thing for 8.1 from Microsoft site i used the Acer Recovery Management tool to make the drive.

• JordanB
    Options

Yes, I understand what recovery drive you have. Smiley Wink

i just checked it out myself and it looks like you'll have to go with diskpart clean. 

So when you click on troubleshoot, you'll see advanced options. After you click on advanced options, you'll see the command prompt. And the crucial diskpart clean link instructions begins with the command prompt. 

The other link I posted (crucial link) will wipe windows 10 and everything else on your hard drive.  And then you'll be able to use your recovery drive. Again, be sure to say yes when it asks you if you want to re-partition your drive. 

Dont worry.  It''s easy. I had to do it a half dozen times last winter when I was using Windows 10 technical preview. 

• coolmichaelrock
    Options

How do you do the diskpart one?

• JordanB
    Options

I already gave you instructions on how to access the "command prompt" from your recovery drive. 

And i already gave you a link that shows you how to use the "diskpart clean" command (from the command prompt). 

So if you follow my instructions on how to access the command prompt from your recovery drive, and then follow the crucial link's instructions for diskpart clean, you'll be all set.  Smiley Wink