Requesting help restoring the Acer Aspire 5542-1462 back to factory defaults

wilspeak
wilspeak Member Posts: 6 New User

I am trying to restore  the Acer Aspire 5542-1462 back to factory defaults, it is running windows 7 home premium. I tried several ways the first way is method (1) >> click “Start” menu and choose Programs
Click “Acer Recovery Management” and click the “Restore”. Method 1 didnt work because it says the PC will reboot into a recovery mode , which it doesnt it boots back into a regular boot mode and does not go into a recovery mode and this has happened repeatedly. Method 2>>ALT + F10  and or F8 didnt work. Can anyone give me some advice because it seems like every method I tried does not work. Thank You in advance.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Are all the partitions on the HDD intact as delivered from Acer?

Have you deleted, resized, or are using free space on any for "other" file starage on any of them?

Did you make Recovery disks or Recovery drive when you received the laptop?

• Mark42
    Mark42 Member Posts: 6 New User

If the HDD was ever replaced, the restore partition is history. Just reload windows from the backup dvd's. You can also download and install a fresh copy of Win7 and activate it using the COA sticker on the bottom.

• wilspeak

Thank You Ace Philetus.  Me and a Friend resized the partitions, and or are using free space on the disk when I made the Laptop a dual boot for Linux ubantu a couple of years ago. I didnt know that this was going to effect me now, and NO I am sorry to say I didnt make any Recovery disks or Recovery drive when you received the laptop. I now know how important it is to make a recovery CD.  I called Acer and they told me that I can buy a recovery CD from Acer for $20. Do you think I should do that or is there a way to fix this on my own ?   Thank You Philetus.

• wilspeak

Thank You Tinker. Me and a Friend resized the partitions, when I made the Laptop a dual boot for Linux Ubuntu a couple of years ago.   I called Acer and they told me that I can buy a recovery CD from Acer for $20. Do you think I should do that or is there a way to fix this on my own ?  How  can I download and install a fresh copy of Win7 ? Also when I download this fresh copy of windows , and install it will that allow me to perform the factory reset ?

• philetus

No, installing Windows won't let you do a factory reset. Buy the Factory Recovery disks. There is no other way to recover it back to factory configuration and $20 is a really good price.

• wilspeak

ACE Pathfinderphiletus, How do I use the CD's after I get them , can  you give me a quick run down on how to use the cd's ?   Thank You

• philetus

Make sure the CD/DVD drive is first boot device in Bios.

Put the first cd in the drive and start the computer. It may say "Hit any key to boot from CD" so be ready.

As each CD finishes, it will eject and ask for the next one. I usually put in the CD and wait 10 seconds for it to spool up before I hit OK.

When it finishes installing, it will check all the install.

Then it will boot windows and go through the "setup windows".

Mine usually Activates Windows before you even go on line.

On the Windows 8 disks, you have to "Clean" the HDD before it will start, but I don't remember the Win 7 disks asking for a blank HDD.

If it does, Just boot with any Windows install disk, when it gets to the INSTALL part, click Repair my Computer.

Win 7/ command prompt, Win 8 / Trouble shoot/Advanced Options/Command Prompt

Type diskpart

list disk  usually disk 0 is your HDD. You will know by the size.

select disk 0

clean

exit

exit