Replaced crashed HD in Aspire 6920 - Finderprint scanner not working

Options
aboonah
aboonah Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Replaced crashed HD in Aspire 6920 - Device Manager says that the Fingerprint Scanner (Validity Sensors (WBF) VFS201 cannot start. Maybe software? Driver is latest version. There is also a (!) on <Other Devices - Unknown device> My guess is that the two issues are related. Anyone suggest what's up?

Answers

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Options

Control Panel ---> Troubleshooting ---> Hardware and Sound ---> Device/Hardware and Devices: Run troubleshooter and View Detailed Information. Follow suggestions and note resolved issues. Recheck for devices working properly (no exclamation mark symbol detected) .

• aboonah
    Options

Thanks for the input, but no fix.

• keith111
    Options

Check all settings in Control Panel ---> Devices and Printers : Right-click (secondary mouse button/Context contrl) on selected scanner.

If no: 

"Add a Device" from same Control Panel ---> Devices and Printers.

• aboonah
    Options

OOPS...maybe I should not have called the hardware a "scanner." It's the fingerprint reader for user logon.

• keith111
    Options

What does it say in Device Manager when you right-click on the "!" file(s)? "This device is working properly?"

• aboonah
    Options

<What does it say in Device Manager when you right-click on the "!" file(s)? "This device is working properly?">

It says, "This device cannot start. (Dode 10)

That's after repeated removal, re-installs, etc. The driver is the most recent.

• keith111
    Options

Start ---> Programs ---> Acer ---> Bio-Protection ---> System Setup

Movie on how to setup the Acer Bio-Protection Fingerprint Reader

courtesy: AcerSupportEMEA 

• aboonah
    Options

keith111 wrote: <Start ---> Programs ---> Acer ---> Bio-Protection ---> System Setup>

Acer folder does not exist.

When HD crashed it was unrecoverable and replaced with an SSD. There was no recover CD - Win7 Enterprise was installed and a driver search program used to find and restore/update drivers installed during Win7 installation. The drivers for the Validity Systems Inc fingerprint scan were found and installed...but apparantly software is missing...Win7 has the driver but doesn't know what to do with it.

• keith111
    Options

Start --> Programs --> Acer --> Acer Recovery Management --> Restore --> Reinstall Drivers or Applications --> Contents --> Install Acer Bio-Protection**

After file install, close Recovery Management, see if you can now locate the file as before, and repeat the movie instructional

**(if Acer Bio-Protection file is not found in Recovery, click Start, and type C: in the search box there. Search the user files parenting the appdata files shown there. Move the file (not shortcut) to your Acer file).

• aboonah
    Options

keith111 wrote: <

Start --> Programs --> Acer --> Acer Recovery Management --> Restore --> Reinstall Drivers or Applications --> Contents --> Install Acer Bio-Protection**

After file install, close Recovery Management, see if you can now locate the file as before, and repeat the movie instructional

**(if Acer Bio-Protection file is not found in Recovery, click Start, and type C: in the search box there. Search the user files parenting the appdata files shown there. Move the file (not shortcut) to your Acer file).>

Can't do any of that. What I've been pointing out is that the computer has a completely new drive - the operating system was installed and programs reinstalled. There is no recovery possible - there's nothing there to recover. And the recovery CD does not exist.

So unless there's a way to get ahold of the Acer Bio-Protection then it won't be usuable.

• keith111
    Options

I've reread your entries.

Okay, if I get the situation correctly, we need some workable software download from Validity:

http://download.cnet.com/Validity-VFS101-USB-48mm-Fingerprint-Sensor/3000-2110_4-76716.html

This may not be appropriate to your needs, but it is all I could find.