Replace wireless "g" card with wireless "n" card.

Options
robart6
robart6 Member Posts: 5 New User

My Acer Aspire 5610z, model BL50, has a wireless "g" mini card, I want to replace it with a wireless "n" mini card.  Does anyone know what wireless "n" mini cards are compatible with this system? Has anyone done this?  If so, what replacement card did you use?  And were the results satisfactory? 

Thanks in advance.  All help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,091 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

You'll find below the original mini card for Aspire 5610:

KI.KDN01.001LAN BD.WRLS.4965AGN.SAUDI
    France
  • robart6
    Options

Thank you, laurent_14, for the quick response and info.  You mention Acer 5610 but I have Acer 5610z.  Do you think the card you mentioned will still work?  I know there is a difference between the 5610 and 5610z BIOS and chipset; not sure if this matters.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Certain motherboards are common to both models (5610-5610Z). So no problem.

France
  • robart6
    Options

Couldn't find a Vista Home Premium 32-bit driver download for this card.  Don't recall seeing any Vista driver's at all; however, a friend of mine has a laptop w/Vista Home Premium 32-bit, it has this card factory installed, and everything is working fine.  I just wasn't able to find a download.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,091 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

It's an Intel 4965 driver:

Wireless LANIntelWireless LAN pilote11.0.0.743.0 MB2008/12/02Download
    France
  • robart6
    Options

Thank you!  I tried it with the driver you provided - - - still no go.  I receive a message stating "Turn on the wireless".  The wireless is "on" and the 'g' card works.  No matter what 'n' card I use, I receive "Turn on the wireless" message.  I now believe this particular laptop has a BIOS whitelist.  Giving up on the idea of upgrading wireless card.