Reinstall windows 8 on a new hard drive

Options
Ladylocke
Ladylocke Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have a laptop my friend has given me and I need to reinstall windows 8 onto it. Unfortunatly the original hard drive of the system has failed and I have had to buy a new one to replace it. The system is out of the warranty peroid.

I've been reading around online and noticed that the actual product key is built into the BIOS. I've tried to use a windows 8 reinstallation disk but unfortunatly the system won't let me install it without re-entering the product key. I've tried contacting my friend and he doesn't have any of the original paper work for the system and there is no sticker of the product key on the computer.

I was wondering if there way anyway around this whole process to allow me to install windows 8 on the new hard drive and once it's fully booted into windows having it activate the key that is built into the BIOS.

If some could help me out with this it would be very much appreciated!!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi...

The Product key is electronically stored in the firmware of your mainboard. So if you need to reset or reinstall Windows 8, you don't need to hunt for the product key. It's automatically applied and activated.

If the Operating System is requesting a product key, then it may not be the standard OEM version of the Operating System that shipped with the computer and you will need to restore your Operating System to the OEM version in order to resolve the issue.

If you do not have the recovery disc created from the same computer, you may purchase the same from Acer store

During the system recovery process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend you backup your personal data before starting the recovery process.

The recovery disc will install the Operating System, all the pre-installed Software and the drivers of your system.
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If you can access the data on the old HDD from USB, you can use Nirsoft’s ProduKey

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

1. Download, extract, and run the program (it will show your own key by default)
    2. Press F9 to bring up the Select Source dialog
    3. Select Load the product keys from external Software Registry hive
    4. Browse to the SOFTWARE registry hive. For example, if you have the drive from the other system mounted as drive Z:, then you would probably select Z:\Windows\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    5. Click [OK]

It should read the hive file from the other copy of Windows and display the appropriate product key.