Recovery stuck on 29/42 Installing LITE-ON Camera utility Crystal Eye

Options
CSURam7
CSURam7 Member Posts: 10 New User
I'm reformatting my HD and the recovery is stuck in 29/42...Installing LITE-ON Camera utility Crystal Eye. This happened last time I used these factory disks. As I remember the solution wasn't difficult but I don't remember what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I would boot from a Windows 7 or 8 disk and get to the command prompt.Then I would run these commands one at a time.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0 (if 0 is your HDD)

clean

exit

Try your disks again.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

try to press ALT+TAB or windows key logo and check if any popup need confirmation on background.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • CSURam7
    Options
    Well, it's now stuck at 41 of 42. I don't have a Windows disk unfortunately. And there are no pop ups. I think I'm going to reformat again and when it gets stuck on 29, I'm going to do Alt-F4 and then install the camera drivers. Maybe then it will be able to finish. It really ticks me off that I paid $20 for recovery disks that are defective! Acer should be required to overnight replacements
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD
    then boot from the burned media and choose mini-xp from the options, once in the desktop, double click "command prompt"

then type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean
    type exit

shutdown Mini Xp

now boot from your recovery media

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • CSURam7
    Options
    OK, I will try that. Thank you!
  • CSURam7
    Options
    It appears that I fixed it. I went into C:\OEM\Preload\Command\AlaunchX and changed it to AlaunchX_Old. The only thing that didn't get fixed is during reboot the green Windows screen shows 2 minutes and a little clock-like circle. Hopefully the Windows updates will correct that! Thank you both for your help!!!
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you do that from a Windows disk? Also congrats.

• CSURam7
    Options
    No, I used the recovery disks that I purchased from Acer. Unfortunately there is something wrong with them which led to this problem.
  • rrincones
    rrincones Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I renamed that folder you mentioned but now I get a message stating the computer restarted unexpectedly and encountered an unexpected error.  windows installation cannot continue.  it asks to restart the computer and the installation will continue after reboot.  However it will come right back to same error.

did you have this problem too?  Are there any other steps that I need to run through?

• CSURam7
    Options
    No, I didn't have that problem. Everything is back to normal except for two things. First, the recycle bin permanently deletes items moved into it. And second, the Windows Splash Screen shows a little clock and says "two minutes." I haven't figured those out yet. But I ordered new recovery disks and will just reformat using them when they arrive.
  • rrincones
    rrincones Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I ordered my disks from restoredisks.com.  Did you find a source that resolved that problem?

Note:  I noticed that if I use the alt tab key strokes I can see a pop up message.  My guess is it hangs because it is waiting for a response.  However the progress screen has taken control.  When you switch to the message it instantly switches back.  Same thing happens when you start task manager.

• CSURam7
    Options
    No, I didn't get it resolved. The new disks I ordered got stuck when the second disk was reinstalling. I got an error message that said something regarding a redundancy. After a few tries, I used the "old" second disk and the rest of the new ones. Then I had the same problem with 29/42 and then 41/42. And this time the computer kept freezing when I would try to exit out of 41/42. I had been planning to get a new comp anyway, so I went ahead and ordered one. I learned a few things from all of this. First, I'd never had problems with recovery disks I made. So in the future I will make my own. Second, I have a drive cloning program ( by O and O). I hadn't used it. If I had, this would never have happened, unless there was a hardware issue, which is possible. I will use it going forward.