Random shut downs, no error message or BSOD. Acer M5-581TG.

Options
Sogeking
Sogeking Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

My Acer Aspire M5-581TG purchased off of Newegg (purchased 12/27/13) was a FANTASTIC computer. It runs very quickly and boots up fast. I like this computer a lot but starting this morning, it randomly shuts off. No error message, no blue screen of death, no nothing, it just shuts off. I'm not sure what is causing this as I have always taken the upmost care of my laptop. I keep it in a case with padding and use Microsoft Security essentials as my antivirus. I don't visit malicious websites or download dangerous content so I'm not sure why this is happening. When I first got my laptop, I noticed a clicking sound when booting up but after the first single click, it doesn't happen again as long as I'm using my computer. It only happens on startup, it hasn't caused any issues ever since I got it. One other strange issue is sometimes, (very rarely), my computer will stutter for one second. These two issues are concerning but occur very rarely and don't seem to affect performance much.

My biggest concern is the newest issue with the laptop shutting off randomly with no BSOD or error messages. It doesn't even reboot after shutting off randomly. I searched the internet to find a potential source of this problem and it may be a power supply issue (or the battery isn't fully connected?) or faulty hard drive. Another important detail is that the random shutoff occurs when I move my computer. If I keep my computer in the same place (on a stand or table), it won't shut off. But if I try to pick it up or adjust it while it's in my lap, it sometimes shuts off. I'm concerned my laptop is going bad prematurely... is there anything Acer can do to help me fix my laptop? Or is it possible to get it repaired or replaced?

Answers

• Sogeking
    Options

One more thing. The issue is not heat related, the laptop is not even doing anything, I'll have it sit at the desktop with no programs open and if I move it a certain way, it will shut off immediately without warning, error message or BSOD.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Unfortunately, from what you've described, it sounds like the HDD and/or the RAM may not be connected well enough. Or there may just be an issue with a piece of hardware. We can assuredly take care of this issue for you, and I'd suggest contact your local Acer service team.

Here's a good place to start if you need more information http://community.acer.com/t5/Community-KB/Where-can-I-find-information-about-my-Acer-Product/ta-p/37951

• Sogeking
    Options

How do I contact a local Acer support team to get this fixed? Also, if it's possible can I just fix it myself (seeing as that would probably be the fastest way)? Can I just open up my laptop and reconnect the parts?

I also forgot to mention that this problem seems to only occur when the laptop is on battery power. The Acer Aspire M5-581 TG has a battery that is a part of the chassis unlike most other laptops who have a battery that is easily removable. Could the problem be that the battery is loose? When plugged in, the problem does not arise.

• Sogeking
    Options

Bump.

• Sogeking
    Options

Can I get some help on this?

• oldmud
    oldmud Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have this same issue for the most part.  My computer was working fine as of yesterday, but then I started studying today and it will only work correctly when I have it plugged into the power source.  Any time it is unplugged it will randomly shut down no BSOD nothing and then I have to start it back up again.  Tried figuring it out but it is not a heat or software problem that I can find.

• lbarker
    lbarker Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am having the same exact problems as the first poster. Mine also shuts down when plugged in though.

It also happens more often when being moved as the OP described.

I like the laptop too...but this is not a normal problem and I imagine is more wide spread than we see here.

If you in the USA, I am under the impression that the only repair facility is in Texas. If your not in Texas you are out of luck for quick repair...I think. I hope I am wrong.

What sucks is using this computer for work, so I can't be without a computer for 2 weeks or more.

Did you get yours fixed?

It almost seems like a loose connection to the batter or power supply.

It is def. due to some shifting of the connections inside when handled/moved.

• HALFDAY
    HALFDAY Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Aspire M5-581TG, Mine shuts down if I pick it up on the right side between the power button and the touchpad, only on battery power, does not happen if plugged in. Anyone have and ideas?  I have no problem opening it up if I can fix it myself?  It would help if I knew what to look for.  Thank you.

• HALFDAY
    HALFDAY Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just a quick followup.  Went to copy serial number for back of computer and found a screw missing. Replaced it and tightened all the others and it is working fine, no more shutting down for no reason.....

• Rehan
    Rehan Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I seem to have the same problem.

First I installed Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, no issues. Then after some automatic updates, this issue just popped up. My computer just shuts down in the middle of anything, whether I just turned it on, or I have been working on it for hours. I have tried to guess the exact reason, but the computer just shuts down whenever it likes. Whatever I am doing on the computer, suddenly the screen goes black with a slight click noise and I have to power it on again.

I dont even know whether this is a hardware or a software issue.

However, this does not occur when my computer is plugged in to charging. The battery might be the reason behind this but the battery is non-removable, so I'll have to send it back to the retailer for fixing.

If this is a software issue, let me know if "Refreshing or Reinstalling Windows 8.1" will fix it, if it isn't, I probably have to send it back for fixing.

• steverino5000
    steverino5000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Can verify -- I didn't have any missing screws but I tightened the screws and bam, no more random shutdowns.

• jalalnasser
    jalalnasser Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited February 2018
    Options
    i have also purchased Acer Nitro 5 before 2 months, and battery was working very good without plug, after that i don't what changed is it software update or hardware some where, im not sure, when im working its shutdown without any warning just power cut with inform the battery is almost full, i really feeling sorry to bought it, what is this acer, they are not looking to our issue even to answer it on support.
  • jalalnasser
    jalalnasser Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    hi,

i wan't to let you know that i have solved my problem with my laptop Nitro 5 new laptop, i have used the screwdriver and the tight screws for the battery, i didn't expect that with new laptop, because i sow that when the laptop on plan table without any move it work continue on battery, so i figured that the problem it could be a screws.  

my advice to you try to tight the screws even if it new laptop.
  • YaseenQamar
    YaseenQamar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Here Is also A Solution 
    Acer Aspire M5 Shut Down Automatically After 30 Minutes Solution By Electronics Tips & Tricks
  • YaseenQamar
    YaseenQamar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Shut Down after 30 minutes , just reflashing the bios problem solved