Problems with backups and system images

Options
ajbbs
ajbbs Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I'm AJ and I'm new to this forum.  I love my Acer laptop ( 5552 model) but have been having problems with backups and making a system image I can't resolve so I'm hoping to find some help here.  I've always done pretty well with maintenance and resolving issues on my computer but seem to have gotten in over my head this time.

I will post my message to the Software and troublshooting board and hope that someone can help guide me through to a resolution.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  

[subject line edited to reflect moved topic]

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

hi...Smiley Happy

Could you please help us with more infromation on what eaxctly happens when you create backups and making a system image ?  Are you trying to create a recovery media using Acer eRecovery managament?

• ajbbs
    ajbbs Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your offer to help, I appreciate it.

System Info:

Model: Acer Aspire 5552

HD: now shows C: 282 GB, 66.6 GB used  (used to show drives C: 160 GB and D: recovery disk) 

Portable HD: 80 GB, 73.3 GB free

What I'm trying to do: Burn a boot CD and make a system image in case I need to resotre my hard drive.  I bought some of my programs via download so would lose them in factory restore backup - this is why I want to burn a system image.  

Issues:

* The Acer Backup Manager does not show an option to burn a system image

* Windows Backup and Restore: Successfully burned boot CD. When I set up the "burn system image" the task dialog box message states the image may take up to 69 GB, which should be ok as I have 73 GB free.   The image burn initiates then error message shows" Not enough disk space to create volume shadow copy on backup location, make sure that minimum required disk space is available, this applies to both the backup storage destination and the volumes included in backup.  Minimum requirements: volumes < 500 MB require 50 MB free space and volumes > 500 MB require minimum of 320 MB free.  Shadow copy could not be created. Please check VSS and SPP app even logs.  Error code = 80780119."  Then there is a Backup unsuccessful dialog box with a down arrow for details.  This dialog box error message was " Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy sotrage file or other shadow copy data." When I clicked the down arrow this message showed, "Backup location - the backup location could not be found error code 81000019"

* I researched the error codes and troubleshooting recommendations online, these are the things I tried: 1.  Set the VSS and SPP services to 'start' (they were both stopped) and xtart up type to 'automatic.' 2.  Tried shutting off virus software and running the systme imaging task again, same negative results  (made sure to turn anti-virus back on).

* Tired downloading and using some free back up/system imaging software programs from download.com-a couple of them wouldn't burn the boot CDs, one of them wouldn't make the system image. I'm not working right now so don't have money to buy new software.

I carefully deleted each program and ran registry cleaner scans after each one until the system was stable.

I noticed that my HD does not show the D: drive anymore.  I know I did not delete this drive, even by accident. 

FYI, I scan my laptop regulary for viruses and malware.  The scans I've run since making these software changes have all showed the system to be clean.

• miguel69
    miguel69 Member Posts: 54 New User
    Options

1. the external HDD you are trying to use is too small. with 500GB 2.5" drives at $50 or less this would be the best option, it could also be used for backups as well as a system image.

2. even though the actual data is only 70GB, the system also makes a hidden shadow copy (System Volume Information) for data rollback/error recovery and undo functions that can take up half again the data amount (the main source of your error). also for this type of operation the system takes a 'snapshot' of the system that won't change during the operation (a running background program could add/delete/change a file during the copy and provoke an error otherwise) and this takes room on the disk. 

3. another way to make a backup is to use an imaging program (such as Macrium Reflect Free) to make an image copy of all the partitions on your drive to an external one (including the hidden factory recovery partition) to be able to recover your system to an 'as of now' state even if your HDD dies you can get EVERY THING back including factory restore (which you can't using the restore disks).

• Dolcetta
    Dolcetta Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have an Aspire 4830T running Windows 7 64 bit.

Have used an external 1TB expansion drive and Bacup Manager successfully over the last year but this month it stalls at 93% and then I get a message - Never Backed Up. Have tried 6 times without success.

Is there a fix for this please. Am being sent from pillar to post using Acer Customer Support.

Thanks in advance

• miguel69
    miguel69 Member Posts: 54 New User
    Options

if you have been using your backup drive for this long, depending on the backup program(s) you use you might not have enough space left on the drive to make another backup.  check how much space is left on the drive and if needed delete a few of the oldest backups (make sure to empty the recycle bin to actually free up the space).

NOTE: you might want to keep the first (oldest) system backup as a baseline install.

• Dolcetta
    Dolcetta Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your response but I have used only a fraction of my 1TB expansion drive - so space is anot an issue.

• acksunny
    acksunny Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello,

I am also having the same or very similar problem when trying to create a system Image. I started attempting to create the system image as soon as I received the laptop October 5th, 2015 (Aspire E1-771-6458), and because it's a time consuming process, I have made sporadic attempts since then.

I have gone through a 10- pack of DVD-RWs. When following instructions very carefully, I keep getting the same error message that I need to insert  a blank medium. I have formated the DVD according to instruction in the initial set-up phaze of the  proedure; and I also manually formatted DVDs before starting the procedure. Neither seems to work. I have tried to recycle DVDs that I made unsuccesful attemts to back up on, and I have trand brand new ones. Like I said I have gone through 10 but not one of them has been deemed "appropriate" I guess.

I also have a 64GB memory stick that I inserted, but maybe it's too small- it never showed up as a backup option.

A solution would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you.