Problems After Downgrading To Windows 7 In Acer Aspire V5-122P

nikodennyqkx
nikodennyqkx Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I am successfully installed Windows 7 Professional 64Bit SP1 in my Acer Aspire V5-122P. After installing Windows 7, I used some of the Windows 8 drivers for Windows 7.

A few things it can't work in Windows 8 are:

1) After installing AMD GPU Drivers, my screen will turn black. I tried alot of times restarting, but it is still the same. The strange thing is, it can bootup the Windows 7 showing the BIOS, Starting Windows, then welcome screen after the desktop, it turns black again.

2) The FN + F3 unable to work before or after installing Acer Launch Manager. I tried using the Windows 8 version but can't install, so I use the Acer Aspire V5-121 Windows 7 Launch Manager.

I don't quite like Windows 8, so i downgrade to Windows 7. I'm stuck on my Windows 8 64bit.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

• osiris999
    osiris999 Member Posts: 2 New User

im trying the same thing. My problem is i cant get drivers for the wifi card. How did you get your wireless network card to work?

• nikodennyqkx

Tinkerer

I used the Windows 8 drivers for my Wifi and bluetooth.

• osiris999
    osiris999 Member Posts: 2 New User

everytime i try it it wont install says wrong operating system.

• nikodennyqkx

Tinkerer

Change the BIOS to Legacy BIOS and try to install Windows 7 again.

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

Key problem to a downgrade is drivers. Acer only supports drivers for the Aspire V5 122P in Windows 8 64 bit. Although their is a legacy setting in Bios to allow Windows 7 to install. I think the other problem is doing a clean install which means erasing all the other partitions on that drive. First thing would be is do is make a copy of the restore partition onto a DVD or USB drive. Then switch bios to legacy mode, then try and install Windows 7. You may have to go to the respective hardware maker for drivers as Acer will not help you on this model. Although you could try and randomly search for Windows 7 drivers on other similar Acer products with same hardware. I personally decided it was not worth voiding warranty since I just bought my V5 122P. Even though I hate Windows 8 too. I hope 8.1 update will at least allow me to ignore the bad parts .

• radeohedca
    radeohedca Member Posts: 5 New User

I too am completely frustrated with Windows 8.  BAD BAD BAD decision by MS to try and implement it on a laptop or desktop.  I'll bet Acer is just as frustrated as I am for installing it on their PCs.

I'm on the verge of trying to install Win7 on my laptop but want to investigate the availability of all drivers. Failing that, how does one go about reinstalling Win8 ?

• jescott418

Main thing is trying to backup Windows 8 before making any changes like installing another OS. Since the V5 has no optical drive you have to either use a external one to make a disc backup or buy a 16Gb or higher capacity USB flash drive and create a backup with that. What either the discs or USB drive will do is make a copy of the hidden partition that is used to restore Windows 8 and all of the apps that came with the PC. The end result is you can then wipe the drive clean and install whatever as long as you set bios to legacy boot mode. I think this forum addressed some of the issues installing Windows 7. I can say myself I was able to get everything working but the brightness controls which seem to have bugs with the AMD drivers. Which I have to say is probably the only thing creating problems. I used the Windows 8 drivers for WiFi, a generic SD card drive, Bluetooth I used generic and the rest installed generics with Windows 7. Hardest was finding chipset drivers for AMD which are on the AMD site. Good luck!

• TR122
    TR122 Member Posts: 2 New User

I thought I had solved the screen issue by using the drivers for radeon 8250, but upon plugging in my power adapter the screen went black again. 

Any ideas folks?

• jescott418

I found hitting the Fn key and using right and left arrows until screen comes on. Its the biggest issue I found besides the Bluetooth not working. Tried several AMD drivers and you can actually go into the Catalyst menu for desktop settings and change brightness without issue? So I am not sure blaming the AMD drivers is the problem. I suspect its more a proprietary Acer thing with the motherboard. I finally gave up and went back to Windows 8 Smiley Sad but will try one of the third party apps that is supposed to add a Start button and menu and the option to turn off Tiles. Classic Shell, Start8 and a couple others sound interesting. It is difficult to imagine we now have PC's that are OS specific.

• TR122
    TR122 Member Posts: 2 New User

So I found a simple workaround 

I changed the advanced power option for the video card and set it to "Maximize battery life" when power plugged in

this resulted in the screen only dimming, when the power plug was added, subsequently I simply adjut the screen brightness with the keyboard and the adjustment remains permanent.

• Eraserus
    Eraserus Member Posts: 1 New User

I just don't know how to thank YOU. 2 weeks plagued with the problem of "dark screen after installing the video driver AMD, but everything is so simple. Thank you very much. The method works.

• Rose12
    Rose12 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi! I do not like Windows 8, but I do like my Acer Aspire V5-122P! So I installed Windows 7 Professional. May be it was wrong descision, because now I have two problems: 1) I cannot connect to the Internet, 2) I cannot adjust the brightness of the monitor. 

It is interesting, is there a way to do something? 

• kansayvue
    kansayvue Member Posts: 2 New User

I've successfully install window 7 and all drivers working correctly. With the issue of the black screen monitor being black out, using the FN + the arrow keys will bring it back up. Wifi and and usb 3.0 are working fine. If anyone needs these drivers to downgrade their system to window 7, let me know and I'll send you a compress zip file of the drivers that are working for me. thanks

• cruxty
    cruxty Member Posts: 1 New User

Please tell me which drivers you used! I really need the one for the wireless.

• longman
    longman Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi!

May I have the drivers for Win7? 

I have problem in searching the proper drivers for downgrade my V5-122p.

Thank you very much!!

• maracucho123
    maracucho123 Member Posts: 1 New User

For Broadcom BCM43142 i used Lenovo h0wa07ww.exe and works flawless. Use 'unkowndeviceidentifier.exe' downloaded from cnet to identify your wi-fi adapter.

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

Why did u do that? Win 8 is BEST even 8.1 is *****

• ibastavd
    ibastavd Member Posts: 1 New User

I registered just to say thank you for this info....Smiley Very Happy

• Alien51
    Alien51 Member Posts: 1 New User

This site worked for me. I was skeptikal at first because i thought it may be a adware site. However it provided me with the drivers for atheros 956x that worked after I tried like a dozen! Hope its helps you!

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/acer/laptops-desktops/aspire-v5-122p/36194

• Netboygold
    Netboygold Member Posts: 1 New User

I don't have a problem with windows 8 or 8.1. Once you put classic shell on there you basicly have all the benefits of win 7 and win 8... well minus the wirelss profile manager... Other than to make things more difficult, I don't know why they took that out.

My question is how well do these things handle x64 bit OS? If you keep UFEI enabled and install win8 it will automatically pick the version like it's susposed to, but it picks 32 bit. On most of the little tablets i've worked with I've worked with 32 bit win 8. But this thing has 4Gb of RAM, but that little low power 1GHz processor is what worries me.

Those of you running a 64bit OS be it 7 or 8, what do you think? How's the performance?