Problem with the recent Switch 10 SW5-012 Power Management update 7.00.8106.0 causing bugchecks

Options
Ipaqman
Ipaqman Member Posts: 3 New User

During my my adding software to my Acer Switch 10 SW5-012, I ran into a sudden reboot issue.  When I checked the Windows event viewer, I saw this message:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xbbd8efdc, 0x00000001, 0x8e280386, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 012215-9687-01.

I was able to reproduce this by putting the Switch to sleep for 2 minutes and then plugging in AC power.  I would have trouble with the power button in terms of waiting.  Eventually, the Switch would wakeup as if it was shutdown. 

I recovered with a full restore to the factory state and tried the same AC power scenario and did not encounter the bugcheck.  However, when I installed the Acer update for Power Management, I was able to see the bugcheck happen again with the AC power.

I would venture that there is a bug in the new Power Management update update 7.00.8106.0. 

I have installed a lot of software including BatteryBar, BatteryInfo, CrystallDiskMark, Performance Test, PCMark, Touchmousepointer, Macrium Reflect, EPM, and more.  None have them have produced this bug check.  Only after I install the new Power Management update do I get the bugcheck.  Of course I have reverted to a saved image prior to the update.

The symptoms include unexpected reboots and the power button not responding promptly.

The Switch is the only tablet that I have used that wakes from shutdown with a simple touch of the power button.  Other tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, the HP Stream 7, and the Lenovo Yoga 2 10 need a press of three or more seconds to wake up from a shutdown or hibernate.

I am having no issues with the Switch 10 other than not being able to update to the Power Management update.  This has been the best inexpensive Windows 8 tablet (2 in 1) that I have tried.  I love the hinge!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I had trouble with the power manager and uninstalled it. I am using the Windows power Manager and it works fine. Try it, you can always reinstall the Acer.Hope MS gets the 8.1 drivers right someday.

• Ipaqman
    Options

I decided to do some more checking into this power management update bug.

I found that the bugcheck does not occur if you do not connect the keyboard and follow the AC adapter plug in as mentioned previously.    When I connected the keyboard and closed the Switch 10 and later plugged in the AC plug, the bugcheck occurred and the Switch rebooted after power on.

I then tried disconnecting the keyboard and simulated closing the Switch as if it were docked.  In other words, the magnet in the dock forced the tablet to go to sleep.  Without the dock, plugging in the AC forces the tablet awake.  With it docked (or magnet shut off), plugging in the AC causes the bugcheck.

So the power management software fails to account for the enforced power off.  It would not make sense to allow the Switch to power on in a closed position.

Acer Support please fix this problem!!!!!

• Ipaqman
    Options

I did retry this problem Acer Switch 10  Power Management update 7.00.8106.0.  I had been seeing a lot of spurious wakes in the SleepStudy log with the previous power management software.  

With this new version, I have not seen any spurious wakes in the SleepStudy log.  My power drain in connected standby are less than 100 mah.  This works out to 0.5 percent per hour power usage usage during "sleep".

However, there is the bug where the system will encounter a bugcheck if you plug in the AC adapter while the Switch 10 is docked and closed and in "sleep".   So in the meantime, I only plug in the AC adapter with the Switch in open laptop mode and then close it or I hibernate the Switch.