Problem with Acer Aspire 5920 CPU swap

matthew88
matthew88 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi everyone,

I have an Acer Aspire 5920 with Windows 10 x64. I'm going to say right off that I am not experienced in swapping processors, but did what I thought was the right thing. I removed the battery and drained the laptop of power. I took out the old processor (T5450) and put in the "new" processor (T9300) and applied thermal grease and put the heatsink and fan back in place. I put everything else back in place and turned the laptop back on. It ran great for about five minutes, when suddenly I got a blue screen with a "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" message. After that, the computer kept trying to restart itself. A few more messages popped up such as "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED".

Thinking it might be an overheating issue, I turned the laptop off for a little while and turned it back on. From what I understand, this processor should run a little cooler, or at least the same temperatures. The computer booted sucsessfully again and I quickly went to HWiNFO to see the reported temps for the GPU and CPU, both were mid-30's. About ten seconds after running the program, the computer crashed again with the same errors. Could the reported temps be faulty, or is it something different wrong? The BIOS correctly identifies the CPU as T9300.

I'm at a loss here. Thanks for any help offered!

Answers

• brummyfan3
    brummyfan3 Member Posts: 10 New User

You could try reseating it again to make sure, get the latest chipset driver from intel for T9300. Is it an ES by any chance?

• matthew88

I didn't get the chipset driver, but how can I install it if I can't keep it on long enough to do anything? Do I need to install it with old processor in? I did try reseating it twice, but no luck. Not sure how to tell if it's an ES, but I don't think so. I didn't see ES on the processor itself. I noticed a few notches on the edge of the processor, so it's possible it could be damaged. I have a few pictures to share also. Will have more when camera batteries charge.

SAM_0478.JPG

Ever since I tried to replace the processor, this red light has been on. It's quite bright. Not sure if it has a significant meaning. It was never on before. It remained on when I put the old processor back in.

SAM_0482.JPG

Temps seem to be in normal range. This is with old processor, though. T9300 had similar readings before crash.

• brummyfan3

Yes, it may be faulty, if you can return it and get refund.

• matthew88

brummyfan3, do you know what the red light on the side means?

Thankfully they are going to let me return it for a refund. It's a big disappointement since I was hoping to upgrade. Also, this particular eBay seller had a 99.5% rating. I will probably try again later on. My next question is do I need to upgrade my RAM to 800mhz also? I think it's 667mhz now.

Here are some pics of it. Camera's macro mode really magnifies it! It looks like they removed it with needle nose pliers. :-(

1.PNG

2.PNG

• brummyfan3

Sorry, no idea about the red light.