Predator 17 won’t boot up and Touchpad flashes green and orange

Options
KarimFara7at
KarimFara7at Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Anyone help please my predator 17 suddenly won’t boot up with black screen and touchpad LED flashes orange and green. What can it be and how can I solve it.
Thanks in advance

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,160 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi,

Try a battery reset, follow the instructions in the link below, once you finished let the laptop to rest for a while.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

• KarimFara7at
    Options
    I did reset battery and still the black screen and the Touchpad LED blinking orange and green.
    But thank you for your reply
    Any other suggestions please?
  • Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Should contact Acer support if the battery reset doesn't fix it.

• KarimFara7at
    Options
    Thank you
  • Algonquin
    Algonquin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Anyone help please my predator 17 suddenly won’t boot up with black screen and touchpad LED flashes orange and green. What can it be and how can I solve it.
    Thanks in advance
    Hi, This is exactly what is happening to me right now, please tell me what you did to fix it. Thank you
  • Algonquin
    Algonquin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    This is a gif of what’s happening 
  • Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    My friends Predator 17 had a similar issue with the power button light on and a black screen(the computer would not turn on or off if you held the power button) so I did the battery reset thing and it worked, make sure you are pressing the button correctly its a really tiny hole and I had to use a needle.
  • Warhornz
    Warhornz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I tried the battery reset. Not working. Any other solutions found?
  • gautam2009
    gautam2009 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Facing exactly the same issue, I had Windows update and then it resulted into Blue Screen and now no display and touchpad LED flashes orange and green. Went to acer authorized center find the details below.

Customer Quotation - 000XXXXXXXX

EnsureMiddleEast TechnologySolutions LLC
    Off. 102, Burj Al Arab Tower, Abu dhabi
    Hamdan Street
    T +971 2 447 8973 | F +971 2 447 9292
    52439 , Abu Dhabi , UAE
    Ph: 00971 2 000000 ,Fax: 
    E-Mail:XXXXXXXXX@ensureservices.com
    Quotation Date: 05/03/2019
    Customer Name: XXXXX kumar
    Telophone: XXXXX
    Fax: 
    Mobile:

Job Card No: 000XXXXXXXX
    Cust Ref No: 
    Call Type: Paid
    S.Engineer: Justin
    Brand: Acer 
    Model Name: ACER PREDATOR G9-791 
    Model No: PREDATOR G9-791
    Serial No: NXQ03AA001XXXXXXXXXXXX

Comments : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
     E-Mail it to XXXXXXXXX@ensureservices.com

DecsriptionQuantityAmount (AED)
    Mainboard Repair Charges1.000XXX.000
    Value Added Tax 5%XX.X00
    TotalXXX.X

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• gautam2009
    Options
    So many people facing the same issue, isin't ACER should look into it ?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    So many people facing the same issue, isin't ACER should look into it ?
    True.... laptop manufacturers should dictate terms to MS, and not the other way round. With the onset of Windows 10, literally every laptop is going for a toss with messy updates - including updates to bios and such without user intimation.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi all,

We are very sorry to hear this, we recommend contacting the local service center in your region, as we are not able to access any account information through the community, you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Acer community is not a direct portal to tech support, customer service or claims/disputes. It is design as a peer to peer support community where Acer users can help other Acer users, a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc.  

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • gautam2009
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi all,

We are very sorry to hear this, we recommend contacting the local service center in your region, as we are not able to access any account information through the community, you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Acer community is not a direct portal to tech support, customer service or claims/disputes. It is design as a peer to peer support community where Acer users can help other Acer users, a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc.  

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
    I went to the authorized repair center, The repair center is asking for money to replace the whole motherboard. Is this what we buy ACER for ??? Getting a high end perfect working laptop bricked just by windows update and leading to Motherboard replacement ???

you mentioned in your post "..... we are not able to access any account information through the community......" Tell me what information do you want ? I will mail you every details including the quotation I got from the ACER authorized server center

Acer is it fair ? what your consumers are facing ? A genuine request to look into the repair issue for the particular issue and also notify the other users to be careful.
  • gautam2009
    Options
    Did anyone facing this issue got it resolved ? What was the fix ?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Did anyone facing this issue got it resolved ? What was the fix ?
    I just want to state that these warranty issues only happen in some countries not all, in the countries that Acer has their own repair centers/HQ etc like US etc these issues seem not to be happening and i never had issues with any of my acer products since 2008 (while on warranty/out) to me it seems the main issue here is with the supposed certified repair centers and their own internal policies/contracts with Acer

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• UpsideDownAirline
    UpsideDownAirline Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had a similar issue on my laptop today. Suddenly crashed without warning and no real reason to do so, and wouldn't boot back up. Touchpad button flashed orange every few seconds. Called ACER support and they said I had to pay $60-ish for a consultation, and that I'd need to surrender the laptop for 5-10 working days. I need this machine for both my university and my job (and I have deadlines for both coming up) and losing my computer, especially for that long, is not an option for me.

I ended up taking out the RAM sticks and SSD, and tried booting it up then. The flashing issue was gone, and the screen turned on saying there was no bootable device. So I put one of the sticks and the SSD back in, and it booted up just fine. I then shut it down, put the other RAM stick back, and it booted up fine with everything back in place.

I have no clue what happened or why simply taking out all the things I could from my laptop fixed the problem, but it works again. Needless to say I'm confused but relieved, and I hope that me posting this here will help someone else resolve the problem in the future as well.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    Probably some bios bug sometimes it happens

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Vampnz
    Vampnz Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I’m gutted. Such an expensive computer and mine is doing the same today. Any ideas would be appreciated. I’ve done the battery reset and reboots. Still no good. I’m not a techy person and so disappointed I saved so hard for a computer that has already failed. 
  • Unbricked
    Unbricked Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I've had a related problem and wanted to leave my experience here, in case it helps someone (at your own risk).  I recently bought a used Predator 15 and it had been in a smoking and dog-hair environment, so I cleaned it up.  Too well.  I believe some of the cleaner got into the machine through the power button or keyboard area.  The machine stopped, blue screen of death with black lines interleaved through it.  I powered it down and tried powering it up again.  I started getting the orange and green touchpad light flashing, and the screen would not come on.  Before this fiasco, I had just gotten the battery charging again -- I took the battery apart and charged it up manually (14 V source) in hopes that the charge controller would reactivate once it was put back in the machine (it did, but only after the entire machine was put together, which depresses a certain switch).  So, I tried the battery reset button again, but no avail. I waited for some time and eventually decided to put it in a bag of rice and left it for a day.  When I tried it again, the screen came on once (predator symbol only) and turned off.  But at least the green and orange light had stopped flashing (stayed green).  I probably should have just put it back in the bag of rice and gave it a bit more time.  But I was a bit impatient and dismantled it, carefully removing the main board (while grounding myself on some copper plumbing) and cleaned areas that I thought might be affected using rubbing alcohol and Q-tips, carefully so as not to strip off those tiny capacitors/resistors.  I also removed the RAM and cleaned that area, but somewhere along the way, I noticed some debris had gotten lodged in the RAM slots and, though I got most of it out with a razor brush, I wasn't entirely successful and just put the RAM back in.  I put the entire computer back together, and I got the orange and green flashing light reappearing.  Ooops.  Something didn't go quite right.  I resigned to put it back in the rice bag (I could still smell some of the cleaner) and wait several days. 

When I pulled it out again, it still gave the orange and green flashing light.  I pulled off the back pieces and removed the CMOS battery and tested it with a multimeter and found that it was dead (~2.2V instead of 3V), and got a replacement to try.  Still, got the green and orange light.  I also had removed the SSD and the hard drive, knowing from experience with the battery testing, that the screen will still come up without them, it just won't boot.    Finally, I dismantled the computer again, removed the RAM altogether, and then put the main board back in place.  This time, when I started it up, the touchpad light was solid green.  Progress.  Instead of putting the RAM back in their original slots, I put them in the back two slots for easier access, testing them one at a time.  Then VOILA, the screen turned on again and I got a screen saying no bootable drive.  I was able to reassemble the remaining components and the computer was up and running as it was before the cleaner incident. 

In short, I recommend not using too much cleaner :).  Maybe if I had waited longer and let the computer sit for a while, I wouldn't have had to play with the RAM at all.  But in the end, reseating the RAM in the other two slots was the main thing that fixed my problem.  All 16GB and the whole computer are good.  It's unbricked!