Please help! Operating system not found after changing boot menu order.

Options
chrishewetson
chrishewetson Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi - after following advice from my company's IT department to enable me to work from home, I changed the order of the boot menu so that it was looking for a USB device rather than the laptop's hard drive.

Now when I try to use the laptop it won't do anything!  Screenshot...PC.jpg...

I then get the error message (Operating System Not Found).  Pressing F2 does nothing, doesn't open up the boot menu, and I've got hundreds of holiday photos on there that I really don't want to lose - can anything be done?  Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    F2 is for BIOS
    F12 is for boot menu

Try to press it before powering on and tap it a few times
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chrishewetson
    Options

Hi - and thanks - I've tried all the function keys but I still get taken back to the screenshot (if that makes sense).

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

If its Desektop then to get to BIOS you need to use DELETE, not F2
  • IronFly
    Options

if you don't have it already, i would create a windows 8.x recovery media, boot from that

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

and choose troubleshoot, advanced options, UEFI firmware settings

• chrishewetson
    Options

Thanks - do you know if that will lose all of my files that are on the hard drive?  I'm really quite keen to keep them.

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,
    Using the Recovery media, you would get 2 options(Reset - Wipe Hard Drive or to Refresh - which does not remove your data but your applications will be removed). Cheers
  • chrishewetson
    Options

Hi, thanks for your reply - no, I've just tried 'del' as well but it just takes me through to 'operating system not found'.

• chrishewetson
    Options

Thanks, that sounds promising - I can easily reinstall applications but the photos are a different matter!
    Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how do I access that link if the laptop won't get past the 'Operating System Not Found' message? 

• IronFly
    Options

You need another notebook or PC, there are no other ways......even to recover data from your HDD.

• chrishewetson
    Options

Ah right - OK - thanks - I will give that a try.

Thanks for your assistance.

• laurent_14
    Options

For information:

To enter in the bios setup utility, there is three options according models:

DEL - F2 - m (often forgotten)

France
  • chrishewetson
    Options

Hi, thanks for that - I've tried pressing all of those as soon as the laptop comes on (if that's the way I should do it) but nothing happens. 

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

As its a Laptop, Try to remove the Battery & the Charger (If removeable) hold the Power button down for about 5-10 seconds & then try to get to BIOS, if the Battery is in-built(Non-removable), unplug the charger & you will find a Battery reset pin hole to the Bottom of the computer, using a paper clip press & hold it down for 5-10 seconds & try to get to BIOS, that Could help you too. Cheers