Physical memory issues with acer v5-122P

Options
CEYC
CEYC Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I seem to have a problem with my acer v5 122p recognising the physical ram dimm. the board seems to have 2gb onboard and there is a 4gb physical ram dimm in the ram slot. However even though the properties show the full 6gb of ram there is only 1.4gb in use. I also do not see the 6gb in the task manager performance stats, it only shows the 1.4gb onboard ram in use. I dont think this is a physical problem with the board or the dimm slot as it does show the 6gb in the properties in windows 10. has anyone experienced this before and more importantly has anyone resolved this issue?

many thanks

Capture.PNG

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Can you post the model name of your 4GB module, did you buy one of these modules? KN.4GB0G.022, KN.4GB09.008 or KN.4GB04.006

These are the original memory modules made for Acer Aspire V5-122P and recommended by Acer.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

What does msinfo32.exe show ? Lines after "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)" & down to "Page File Space".

• CEYC
    Options

I originally suspected the original 8GB dimm had a fault so swapped it out for a 4GB but the same problem with both. 

the original dimm was a 8gb dimm (SP008GBSTU160N02) its a UK machine so doesnt seem to have a KN number on the ram

the replacement dimm is a 4gb (HYS31025684GB) 

both are recognised in the properties and both say 1.4 usable so i dont think its an issue with the dimm.

• CEYC
    Options

the sysinfo sees it as physical memory (original 8GB dimm re-installed) but not as useable 

sysinfo.PNG

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>2gb onboard and there is a 4gb physical ram dimm in the ram slot. However even though the properties show the full 6gb of ram there is only 1.4gb in use.>>>

What's total available when you leave the slot empty and run on only 2GB? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

CEYC wrote:

I originally suspected the original 8GB dimm had a fault so swapped it out for a 4GB but the same problem with both. 

the original dimm was a 8gb dimm (SP008GBSTU160N02) its a UK machine so doesnt seem to have a KN number on the ram

the replacement dimm is a 4gb (HYS31025684GB) 

both are recognised in the properties and both say 1.4 usable so i dont think its an issue with the dimm.

Hi,

You are trying to install a PC3-8500(HYS31025684GB) to replace 8GB (SP008GBSTU160N02) which is PC3-12800.

Could you please check the specs of the originally installed(soldered) RAM with CPU-z. You need to install the module to match original specs already in the laptop.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1945415807690601108/specs?q=HYS31025684GB&oq=HYS31025684GB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW1MKHtOXVAhVHCcAKHWPEC7YQuC8IigE

https://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=80152&cat=RAM&cpc=RAMbsc

• CEYC
    Options

2gb physical 

1.4gb useable

• CEYC
    Options

CPU-z doesnt show the properties of the soldered ram only the physical ram

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Seems to be a common issue. First off what does Resource Monitor (%windir%\system32\perfmon.exe /res) show on the bottom of the Memory tab about what memory is allocated to what ? The Microsoft Sysinternals: Rammap can also tell you a lot about physical memory.

Your description does sound like it is seeing the memory in the slot but not using it. My spec sheet calls for a SODIMM of 2 or 4 GB DDR3L 1.35v.

I believe the Hypertec you mentioned was a DDR3 and not a DDR3L (low voltage). This may be the problem.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options

To Padgett

>>>CYEC >>>What's total available when you leave the slot empty and run on only 2GB? Jack E/NJ>>>CYEC 2gb physical
    1.4gb useable...

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ