Overheating problem on Acer Aspire 5755g

Options
giancapa
giancapa Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

First of all, sorry if the post is on the incorrect forum or if it's posted again and again.

I've a laptop Acer Aspire 5755g, with Intel Core i7-2630QM 2GHz with Turbo boost up to 2.9GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (up to 4095 MB TurboCache), 6GB RAM (DDR3) with Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

I was playing Civilization V: A Brave New World, not for the first time, I play it a lot, and it was running kinda slow and my laptop just turned off. I restarted it, and open SpeedFan, thinking on a overheating issue, and I got:

HD: 53C
CPUs Core: 87-89C
GPU: 85C

CPUs could go up to +90C and GPU from 80-85C

(And this is just with Google Chrome opened, or just after restarting Windows, not running some game or similar, using 48% of the RAM and no more of 25% of CPU).

It's not the first time I reach this temperatures, and I think the average (or usual temperature) of my Cores are ~70C, and the HD like 48C (I don't remember it for GPU).

I live on an zone where the temperatures can be 30-35C, but during the day, and I don't know the temperature in the night (when this happened) but is not that hot. I use a coolpad, on a table (not my legs or bed), but not air condicioner, just fans.

Maybe it's a dust problem (I will take it to clean it tomorrow to see if it's get better) or even a problem with the thermal grease (I don't if it's the correct name, and also I don't know if it could be the problem, but I will check). But since it's not the first time I have this problems, I searched on internet for some solutions.

I've read about:

So, since I'm not into all these things too much, I don't want to damage my laptop or doing something imprudent.

I will be glad to read recommendations on some configurations of software I can make, or using some program (like SpeedFan or similar). I think this model of laptop use a lot of energy (I've had problems with the AC adaptor too), then a lot of heat, so I want to know how to keep it cool, more than let it be hot and cool it.

Thank you in advance Smiley Happy

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

The first simple step is to perform a power reset :

To perform a power reset:

1. Unplug the AC adapter from your notebook.
    2. Turn the notebook over to remove the battery. Slide the lock tab to the unlock position first then slide and hold the release tab. While holding the release tab remove the battery.
      Note: There are 2 tabs holding the battery in place. One is the lock tab and the other is the release tab.
      Turn the notebook back over and open it.
    3. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then release the power button.
    4. Turn the notebook back over and slide the battery back into place.
    5. Slide the lock tab back into the lock position.
    6. Turn over the notebook one last time and plug in your AC adapter.
    7. Turn on your notebook.

1. Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• giancapa
    giancapa Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Oh, thank you for answering Sharanji. But, is that a solution for overheating? I though it was for if I can't turn on my laptop, but I can, it's just it's very hot :/