Ordered Acer Erecovery media for Netbook, received discs but need usb

Options
acanoles
acanoles Member Posts: 5 New User

Ordered Acer Erecovery media for Netbook, received discs but need usb. Tried copying to USB but can't get past errors trying to copy the discs to the USB.  The problem is with  some of the .svm files "can't read from source" error.

I don't have a portable dvd/cd drive to use for this and the Netbook doesn't have one either.

Best way to go about trying to use the eRecovery discs on this Netbook?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if possibile try on another PC, to copy files from CD.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • acanoles
    Options

Thank you for the response.  Still received the same errors copying some of the files when doing so on another computer.  BTW, I get the impression you are pretty knowledgeable with this stuff.

• IronFly
    Options

can you do a last check?

use a software to create an iso image of your CD (nero, imgburn or infrarecorder)

if during the image process, there's any error, the process will stop.

let me know.

• acanoles
    Options

So far no luck due to "can't read source disc/retyring from sector 1631406/error reading sector" when creating an ISO image using infrarecorder.

Guess I am curious what would happen if just skipped the .svm files it can't copy and tried using it without those - directly copied to USB.  I guess it would be preferable to have an ISO package though. 

Pulling my hair out!  I figured reviving this netbook was not going to be as easy as I thought.  This is second time in a period of years I've taken an Acer product to the local repair shop, only to get it back with some slop os repair failing.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Wait, i will ask for help.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi Guys,

So I won't be of much help in turning recovery disc media into USB media. I would suggest obtaining an external optical drive, hopefully you could borrow one or at worst, they are 20-30$ online.

I don't think we can determine if the physical media is bad until we attempt a proper install. Unfortunately, USB recovery media was made available when Netbooks were all the rage.

Cory

• acanoles
    Options

Thank you.

• acanoles
    Options

Just an update, the optical drive didn't help as the 2 system disks did not work - still have bad files.  When I ordered this recovery media from Acer I was directed to a third party website which appeared a bit sketchy and kept having difficulties loading and such.  I don't recommend ordering media unless supplied by Acer and hopefully original OEM.  I am pretty sure I received a poor quality/possibly corrupt copy which a slightly blurry Acer logo printed on the cds.  Complete waste of $20.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

If you want to send a private message with an order number I can check. Our media is 20$ for DVDs, but orders are placed on our website and fulfilled by a partner that specializes in media replication.

The site that you would want to order recovery media from is below:

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery